Jaden Smith as "Dre" and Jackie Chan as "Mr. Han" in Columbia Pictures' KARATE KID.

I still don’t know how to feel about the now classic Karate Kid movie being remade with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith.

Work pressures cause a single mother moves to China with her young son; in his new home, the boy embraces karate, taught to him by a master of the self-defense form.

For me, nothing will beat the memory of watching the movie while sitting in the front row, when it first came out.  If you are curious, there are a few more official pictures after the jump.

via IESB

Be on the lookout for Frostbite (a.k.a. Captain America)

The Sixth Gun - Them What Ails Ya worth checking out

1. brenton8090
    December 1, 2009 at 12:20 pm — Reply

But, karate comes from japan. Right? It almost offends me that they think they can substitute China for Japan and it won’t matter. It’s almost blatant orientalism.
    Apart from that, it looks pretty cool. I like how young their going with Daniel, and Jaden Smith can pull it off.

• Jacin B
      December 1, 2009 at 12:28 pm — Reply

Per Mr. Miyagi (in Karate Kid I): “Karate come from China, sixteenth century, called te, ‘hand.’ Hundred year later, Miyagi ancestor bring to Okinawa, call *kara*-te, ’empty hand.'”

So, if that’s true, perhaps this should be just ‘Te Kid.’

2. Eddie Sheridan
    December 1, 2009 at 12:24 pm — Reply

Somewhere, Pat Morita is spinning in his grave…

3. Jacin B
    December 1, 2009 at 12:24 pm — Reply

Well, Will Smith’s kid has a pretty impressive kick.

I’m not sure, however, how I feel about a remake of the movie. I’ll probably give it a chance and see it with my son. Dre is no Danny Laruso, but as Mr. Miyagi said: “Fighting fighting. Same same.”

4. arcee
    December 1, 2009 at 1:03 pm — Reply

This movie should have been the closing of the circle for Ralph Macchio both character and actor-wise.

HE should have taken on the “Miyagi” role and been featured in the movie teaching a new student of his own.

Just imagine a scene with him meditating in front of tiny shrine with a picture of his old sensi (Pat Morita) and how well (sentimentally and spiritually) it would have gone for all those that grew up wacthing the first movies.

I hope this version does will but not holding my breath.

5. December 1, 2009 at 2:54 pm — Reply

Not sure why this is even called a remake. It has nothing really to do with the original concept accept the borrowing of the name it seems. Is that the new trend, lets just use the franchise name to get some old fans in and make an entirely different kind of movie?

I’m just picturing Ralph Macchio with cornrows…SWEET!!!!

6. Brian Duff
    December 1, 2009 at 7:52 pm — Reply

Well, it looks like they’re going the middle school route this time. But I would have liked to have a bit of Miyagi from a younger point in his life. We keep getting him in his sunset years. Why not have a “prequel” movie with Miyagi fighting his brother and then having to leave when he was younger. To have the Miyagi character as the “Karate Kid” would have been a nice change for once.

7. Adam
    December 2, 2009 at 9:18 am — Reply

NO! Just no. Stop killing my childhood.