Critical HitDungeons And DragonsFeaturedGamingMajor SpoilersMajor Spoilers PodcastPodcastwizards of the coast

Critical Hit #17: Battle on the Rooftops

This issue: A visit to the old man ends up in an encounter that might just wipe out the entire party!

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Take the jump for the complete image gallery for this episode!

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

Robot Overlord

Robot Overlord

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Gene Gonzales Day 1

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Gene Gonzales Day 2

1. Ricco
    October 18, 2009 at 4:16 pm — Reply

That was awesome! I loved how matthew just wanted to kill that guy no matter what near the end, he could have tried to implale him with his horns as he fell :-)

Did the blond guy have a giant tunigfork/sword? ‘Cuz that’d be so cool.

I posted this in critical hit 15: “I can’t wait to hear the description of Cid’s ship: the Highwind, I mean Stark’s Hellicarrier, wait that’s not it… Tony’s flying vessel, that what I meant :)” good to know I’m not the only one who thought of cid.

This game reminded me of one I played years ago, we were stuck in a cave full of goblins with little hit points and no magic and we asked the dungeon master if we still had a chance, he said “sure you do!”, my brother said “really!?”, then he aswered “no” and gave us new characters sheets…

2. David
    October 19, 2009 at 6:27 am — Reply

Hey Guys!
    Can I just say that you guys are AWESOME! I haven’t played in a number of years and every week I can’t wait to hit the refresh button on itunes to see if you have a new episode up! In a time when the economy is sucking, my job is killing me and money is tight, you guys make it feel just a little bit better when I can sneak away from reality just for an hour or so to the Major Spoiler D&D Podcast!
    I really need to find a group and get back into this game!

Once again, THANKS, and keep up the Great work!
    -David

3. Rob
    October 19, 2009 at 3:01 pm — Reply

Love all the detailed combat mat pics for this adventure. Keep it up.

4. Ocho
    October 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm — Reply

Never played D&D a day in my life, but by the end of this I was thinkin’ “My boys got through! Thank God, my boys got through!”

5. J Michael T
    October 20, 2009 at 12:40 pm — Reply

Best one so far… Thanks!

• October 20, 2009 at 1:32 pm — Reply

Thank you for downloading and listening! Be sure to tell all your D&D friends, and get them to listen, too! The more the merrier!

6. Rob
    October 20, 2009 at 3:39 pm — Reply

Wow, Rodrigo you almost got the TPK. If it wasn’t for that meddling airship captain. What I am wondering is whether or not he was even gonna be involved in the encounter. I assume with the timing that he was perhaps thrown into combat to assist but was just curious. Also, as a DM i hate it when i intentionally save someone and then they try to go do something ridiculous like when torq almost ran straight for that leader after he was rezzed. Great combat segment though, was a lot of fun to listen to.

• Rodrigo
      October 21, 2009 at 12:34 pm — Reply

what do you mean ‘almost’ ran straight for the leader? he sat there trying to kill him for three rounds while his friends yelled “Torq, jump on the ship already!”

the important thing to keep in mind is that Torq is Matthew’s character and it’s always his decision as to how he behaves… barring mind control slugs.

• Rob
        October 21, 2009 at 2:01 pm — Reply

I was referring to the first round that you healed him up from being unconscious. He wanted to instantly run in but you all managed to at least talk him out of it for that round. He definitely made some interesting choices, trying to stay and off the leaders head. I think the mind control slugs have been there since day one!

Also, was wondering who is the guy in the orange shirt behind the laptop?

• October 21, 2009 at 2:17 pm — Reply

That man needed to die… I swear to you, as Scarlett O’Hara is my witness, he will not survive another encounter with Torq. I will not allow it. Punk. :)

The orange shirted man is our local audio engineer, Seamus O’Shaunessy, making sure the levels are alright.

• Rob
          October 21, 2009 at 2:41 pm — Reply

Cool, thx for the info. Don’t get me wrong, I definitely love Torq’s role as comic relief and face smashing. Makes the podcast very fun to listen to. I just didnt know Torq was so vengeful. I guess in combat his rage takes over his sense of reason.

• October 21, 2009 at 6:22 pm — Reply

Torq isn’t vengeful, per se, but repeatedly being set on fire has a tendency to make him want to cleave people’s heads into their bodies. With an axe.

• October 21, 2009 at 6:20 pm — Reply

Wow, Rodrigo you almost got the TPK.

He wouldn’t have if the others would have listened to me when I said “Give it to Tooorq…” :)

7. Luke
    October 20, 2009 at 10:00 pm — Reply

I just wanted to thank you guys for putting on a campaign that has me more emotionally involved than a lot of the games I play. If I can talk you into play testing SPYCRAFT or all flesh must be eaten you might become my best friends ever. In addition nice Dora reference Mathew.

8. Rob
    October 21, 2009 at 2:05 pm — Reply

I was referring to the first round after he came back from being unconscious when he wanted to run in immediately to get the leader. You all were at least able to hold him off from doing that until he got healed a little bit. He definitely made some interesting choices while trying to off the leaders head. I think the mind control slugs have been there since day one!

Btw, who is the guy in the orange shirt behind the laptop?

9. Robbie
    October 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm — Reply

“Psst…give it to Torq!”

10. Jared
    January 25, 2010 at 5:57 pm — Reply

You guys are great, and funny i love the references. I do have one thing to say though. i know Rodrigo is the DM but the Players Hand book states that if an enemy is bloodied in one shot from its Max HP it is known as slaying outright (P. 288 under Coup De Grace)

11. James
    February 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm — Reply

Holy freakin 20’s Torq.
    Anyways great podcast as always

• XantharTheFlame
      August 25, 2010 at 8:38 pm — Reply

I don’t know about Rodrigo, but if I was DM I’d waive that rule, at least for higher level baddies — can you imagine doing that to something with over 200 hp? It’d still have 100 hp left but be dead? Doesn’t make sense to me. I get the fact that doing 100 hp damage in 1 strike would be AWESOME (if at all possible), but still….

My two cents.

• XantharTheFlame
        August 25, 2010 at 8:39 pm — Reply

P.S. The above reply was supposed to be to Jared, not James.

12. Billy
    April 5, 2011 at 11:19 pm — Reply

Really enjoy these. As a DM of several years, it’s pretty obvious that Torq rolls way above 10 a little too frequently. :-p

13. Calleigh
    January 6, 2017 at 1:38 pm — Reply

Twitter summary: #CriticalHit #Ep17 TQ gets OR drunk. Hung-over OR insults King Emnos. No help there. Ninjers on Thony’s roof! Near TPK. Airship escape.