I enjoy looking at fairly well known comic book artists doing original work for others.  Today, Dominic Marco tackles a concept character by another writer.  Plus there’s a bonus image, that you can only see after the jump!

This was a commission from Teri-Minx of her character, Thunderbird. I really like the flow of this piece and there’s something rather fun about doing the ‘squishy-boob’ thing that separates the elasticity of cartoon characters from the ultra-toned comic-style characters and their gravity defying bust-lines.

And because I missed yesterday’s Art Appreciation Moment, here’s a bonus Marco image of Chloe Sullivan that he did as a commission.

via Deviant Art

Review: Gotham City Sirens #3

Review: Mighty Avengers #29

1. Navarre
    September 23, 2009 at 2:32 pm — Reply

Why is Thunderbird wearing the Falcon’s costume?

2. September 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm — Reply

I believe that Thunderbird is one of those “young nubile girl in the costume of a grown man” situations that gave us X-23, the new Scorpion, et al.

3. ~wyntermute~
    September 23, 2009 at 3:10 pm — Reply

Yow… How does “Falconette” not snap in the middle with a waist that tiny and so much, um, “ballast” strapped to her chest??? Cheesy & cakey, I say~!!!

4. Ev
    September 23, 2009 at 4:18 pm — Reply

Heeee, this is nearly the costume that the V-A’s marketing department wanted to serve to Starlight in the Boys! :-/

5. Navarre
    September 23, 2009 at 4:25 pm — Reply

It is everything I dislike in the depiction of females in comics. No offense to Dominic Marco but I find no “art appreciation” here.

6. CountBackwards
    September 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm — Reply

I was hoping the “bonus image” was a nipple.

• ~wyntermute~
      September 23, 2009 at 6:58 pm — Reply

Based on the “not-bonus” art, i EXPECTED nudity in the “bonus”…. THAT’s what sort of “preconceived notions” that ‘chick’ (haha, get it? baby birds are chicks, and… eeehh.. anyway.) evoked.

7. Robbie
    September 23, 2009 at 5:22 pm — Reply

Hmmh.
    I see no Redwing!

8. d_Ranged
    September 23, 2009 at 7:05 pm — Reply

not one single thing about that bonus image says “Chloe Sullivan”. He didn’t capture anything about her character except the hair, and that isn’t right either.

9. Jacin B
    September 24, 2009 at 8:35 am — Reply

Yeah, I see no Chloe in the commission, either. It’s just cheesy for the sake of being cheesy and why the heck would she have an ‘S’ tattoo’d down there?

I dunno. I wouldn’t want to offend Mr. Marco as an artist but, in this case, I’m just not diggin’ it.

• September 24, 2009 at 10:53 am — Reply

Both the images are good in a “good girl” art sort of vein, like the old Phantom Lady comics by Matt Baker and the like.

I can see a little Allison Mack in the second image, especially in the eyes. As always, your mileage may vary.

• Jacin B
        September 24, 2009 at 12:49 pm — Reply

“I can see a little Allison Mack in the second image, especially in the eyes.”

I can, too, I suppose, if your similarity comes down to “Do they both have eyes?” In that case, though, you look a little like Allison Mack.