SPACE

This issue: Do altered states lead to greater creativity? It’s the question that is pondered that leads to a discussion of drugs, depression, and insomnia as gateways to increased productivity in the creative arts.

NOTE: You must be 18 years of age to listen to this podcast! Major Spoilers does not condone or endorse the use of drugs, nor do the members of the Major Spoilers crew encourage or suggest our listeners partake in recreational drugs.

This is quite a different podcast than one you might be used to, so if you have any misgivings, turn back now!

[podcast]http://media.libsyn.com/media/majorspoilers/majorspoilers_136.mp3[/podcast]

Direct Download

RSS Feed

Podcast Alley

Contact us at podcast@majorspoilers.com

FINAL NOTE:  Do NOT admit to any drug use in the comment section or forums, your post will be removed.

Review: Blackest Night #3 (of 8)

Critical Hit #13: A Battle at the Altar

1. September 20, 2009 at 12:06 pm — Reply

The Robert Anton Wilson books that Stephen references are most likely Cosmic Trigger, Cosmic Trigger II, and Cosmic Trigger III. The first Cosmic Trigger deals especially with Wilson’s drug use and other consciousness expanding/altering experiments. Wilson is my absolute favorite author, both his fiction and nonfiction works.

2. September 20, 2009 at 12:46 pm — Reply

Bruce is correct – Cosmic Trigger series are the ones I was thinking about during the show.

3. vistapa
    September 20, 2009 at 1:15 pm — Reply

Dude this podcast was deeeeep

• September 20, 2009 at 1:24 pm — Reply

Sadly, we only scratched the surface as I continue to bring up the question about what affects creativity.

4. vistapa
    September 20, 2009 at 1:41 pm — Reply

i think altered states of mind only boost your creativity IF you are already a creativ person, otherwise every sturday night we’ll all end up with a bunch of masterworks out of the clubs and bars.
    Did you guys read “No hero”? it’s a ongoing mini with induced altered states of mind as a source for superpowers

5. September 20, 2009 at 2:22 pm — Reply

The sleep deprivation aspect of the conversation was pretty interesting. I think the longest I’ve ever gone without sleep is probably 36 to 40 hours.

I did Scott McCloud’s 24 Hour Comic Book Challenge last October which includes a certain amount of sleep deprivation as a specific aspect of a creative exercise. I did find myself getting very emotional about the characters and story as I got to the 13-14 hour mark, and through the completion of the challenge. It was a very intense experience, and I still have very vivid, but almost dreamlike memories of that day. I was only awake for a little over 24 hours for that specific experience, but I can imagine how weird things could get beyond that duration as the mind copes with fatigue.

6. September 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm — Reply

Eating Sandwich = Huffing Gasoline?

7. grayoptimist
    January 8, 2015 at 5:33 am — Reply

I suppose this will never be read, but when I get sleep deprived (which happens frequently), things start changing colors, shadows glow around the edges, and I start hearing things. Once in high school, one of my classmates turned lime green for about a minute.

• January 8, 2015 at 8:14 am — Reply

It’s been so long since we recorded this episode, but I’ve had a few moments in the last 8 months where the floor tile started talking…