Check out this featurette to Solomon Kane

Hail to the Chief

1. Dave
    September 17, 2009 at 11:22 am — Reply

I’m kinda hoping she doesn’t have a parachute…or, if she does, and anvil comes out when she opens it like an old Warner Bros. cartoon

• ~wyntermute~
      September 17, 2009 at 4:07 pm — Reply

I was going to say about the same thing, except I was gonna add a “Is it mean if…”.

2. September 17, 2009 at 1:10 pm — Reply

Other than the goofy bat symbol in the back (why would it be on a building, is the Gotham PD getting even more specific about what they can’t handle and need Batman for?) this cover looks very tight. So far, all of the covers for Batgirl have had a very unique, iconic quality to them.

3. Brent
    September 17, 2009 at 2:07 pm — Reply

Seeing the new costume in action underscores how much those Liefield-esque thigh pouches take away from an otherwise decent outfit. I would have gone with a black bat symbol outlined in yellow like Cassie’s outfit, but that’s not a real big design complaint (I guess the yellow symbol compliments/balances her blonde hair).

Despite the quality of the art and sufficently heroic layouts, all I can see is that humongous, redundant utility belt around her leg. One hardly notices that Steph’s gauntlets match Dick’s new gauntlets, which is a nice touch.

4. TaZ
    September 17, 2009 at 3:02 pm — Reply

Actually, the leg belt’s pretty realistic as most tactical uniforms now include them to give easier access to equipment and take up less space on a waist. The costume’s a nice mix of old and new features.

• Brent
      September 17, 2009 at 3:31 pm — Reply

OK, Taz, if you say so. By your reasoning they could have given her cargo pant pockets, perhaps matching the purpule armor/material on her sides. As it is, she reminds me too too much of W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S and early X-Force from the waist down.

• September 17, 2009 at 5:17 pm — Reply

I don’t know… It’s more streamlined than that, and I don’t mind the design element when it makes sense… Kind of like how Power Girl’s new metal shoulderpad doesn’t bug me. It looks too cool.

• September 18, 2009 at 8:56 am — Reply

Maybe if the pouches were in black, so they weren’t so obvious…. Right now the second utility “belt” is more of a utility garter!

5. September 17, 2009 at 5:23 pm — Reply

As much I was down on the first issue, I still think that this is a good costume. The purple can be considered to be a flexible ballistic armor, and there is no reason in the world she can’t have the pouches as large as they are. And the addition of the thigh pouches breaks up her silhouette and makes her a little more unique. And TaZ is right as well, that is a common part of tactical armor now. The yellow bat symbol is almost a staple with Batgirls, but it does match nicely with her hair and brings it all together. Also, the purple is not that unusual for a Bat Family member, as Huntress in nearly all her various costumes has purple and the old Spoiler costume had, duh, purple.

The thing I like the most? The fact that there is no cleavage of leg showing. They could have cone all sex with it, but they actually made it functional and modern.

My biggest complaint was Stephanie literally just taking Cassandra’s costume. This gives her more of an identity and feels like a fresher character.

• September 17, 2009 at 5:24 pm — Reply

cleavage of leg
      —-
      Should have been : cleavage OR leg

6. eric
    September 17, 2009 at 8:32 pm — Reply

What we dont see is behind the flames is that Cassandra pushed Stephanie off the roof of the building hoping that she wont be able to escape this and be ran over by a truck when she hits the pavement. Didio where is the 900 number to call to kill Stephanie? Do we have that yet? I give this girl a year and half at the most. The thigh high utility belt, when is a villian going to grab that and use something out of it. This is one of the worst moves by DC in a long time.

7. September 17, 2009 at 11:38 pm — Reply

Meh. Given the turnover in the bat-books, nobody is going to be around forever. As always, my question to you is this:

Have you actually read the book?

• ~wyntermute~
      September 18, 2009 at 4:44 pm — Reply

I have. I’m personally pulling for that 1-800 number option. :) I like “Stephanie Brown as Spoiler”, I even kinda thought she was cool when she did the “Stephanie Brown as Robin, the Girl Wonder” thing. But “Stephanie Brown as Batgirl” holds _nothing_ for me. I think this reflects (only in my mind, y’all are free to disagree at will) that she’s not MEANT to be the ‘star’ of something. She’s like Woody Harrelson was on Cheers, back inna day. “Woody” was amazing, and hilarious, and stole the show sometimes… But, like, if he would have been the male lead, people would NOT have tuned in weekly. Stephanie Brown: Terrific 2nd Banana.

• September 18, 2009 at 10:28 pm — Reply

I have. I’m personally pulling for that 1-800 number option. :) I like “Stephanie Brown as Spoiler”, I even kinda thought she was cool when she did the “Stephanie Brown as Robin, the Girl Wonder” thing. But “Stephanie Brown as Batgirl” holds _nothing_ for me. I think this reflects (only in my mind, y’all are free to disagree at will) that she’s not MEANT to be the ’star’ of something. She’s like Woody Harrelson was on Cheers, back inna day. “Woody” was amazing, and hilarious, and stole the show sometimes… But, like, if he would have been the male lead, people would NOT have tuned in weekly. Stephanie Brown: Terrific 2nd Banana.

Is it that you don’t like Stephanie, or that you do like Cassandra? Because a lot of people are SAYING the former, but MEANING the latter.

8. Jeff
    September 18, 2009 at 6:24 am — Reply

I seem to remember there being a Batwoman.

Hello? Paging Ms. Kane…

• September 18, 2009 at 9:01 pm — Reply

Didi discusses the various options they rejected in his column this month — as for Bette and others, “none felt strong enough for the position”…. obviously the fans do not agree with Didi?

• September 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm — Reply

Which fans? The book seems to be selling thus far?

• September 20, 2009 at 8:13 pm — Reply

I guess I was recalling all the comments I’ve read here and elsewhere about “Please let it be anybody by Stephanie?” But maybe I assumed the negativity on the fansites accurately represented the general buying public…

9. September 18, 2009 at 11:41 pm — Reply

Matthew, I have to say I was one of those that was saying I disliked Stephanie and meaning I liked Cassandra.

I followed Cassandra from her first appearance through almost the end of her series. I did not see the developments that happened in the other titles with her.

I only knew Cassandra as a supporting character to Robin, and only read a few issues with her. I followed her for the first few issues of her Robin days, but dropped the title before the whole death and gang war stories.

That being said, I have read the second issue, and I like the way they are going with it. Yeah, my initial reaction to the first issue was a knee-jerk to the abrupt replacement of Cassandra. The first issue read like a spoiled brat trying to get some kicks. I did not like it, and I did not care for Stephanie.

Now,. I have read the second issue, and I feel a little more for the character. The interactions with her and Barbara are what will make this book, in my humble opinion. I’m sticking around for the foreseeable future with it.

Regarding the costume, this costume looks like it may be designed (in story) by Barbara. You can see hints of it in the yellow and the cowl. I think that it is a strong design, and it is the main reason I picked up the second issue. Now I am picking up the second issue to watch this character grow beyond her dead-girl legacy.