DC has released a sneak peek of the upcoming Superman: Secret Origins #1 issue.  While a lot of people might get pretty excited about what awaits after the jump, all I can say is it reminds me a lot of one of the season finales of Smallville.

Written by Geoff Johns
Art by Gary Frank & Jon Sibal
Covers by Gary Frank

Hot on the heels of their acclaimed run on ACTION COMICS, superstars Geoff Johns and Gary Frank reunite to present a 6-issue event that spells out the definitive origin of Superman for the 21st century – and it all starts with a gigantic 48-page issue! Chronicling Clark Kent’s journey from the cornfields of Smallville to the skyscrapers of Metropolis, you’ll witness a whole new look at the beginnings of Lex Luthor, the Legion of Super-Heroes, Lois Lane, Metallo, Jimmy Olsen, the Parasite and more! It’s a look at the mythic past of the Man of Steel with an eye toward the future!

Retailers please note: This issue will ship with two covers. For every 10 copies of the Standard Edition (with a cover by Gary Frank), retailers may order one copy of the Variant Edition (with a cover by Gary Frank). Please see the Previews Order Form for more information.

On sale September 23 • 1 of 6 • 48 pg, FC, $3.99 US

via The Source

Kate Beckinsale keeps you frosty

Singer set to direct Battlestar Galactica flick

1. Will
    August 13, 2009 at 7:05 pm — Reply

Is DC compensating the Christopher Reeves estate for using his likeness for the past 2 years ?

They should

I demand that Wonder Woman be drawn exactly like Lynda Carter, I’m she she can use the extra cash

2. Brother129
    August 13, 2009 at 7:56 pm — Reply

This was the cliffhanger for season one of Smallville…

3. August 13, 2009 at 10:03 pm — Reply

I am also bothered by the Christopher Reeve face on the young boy’s body.

4. Jordan Levells
    August 14, 2009 at 1:16 am — Reply

Is it just me or does Pa Kent look like Paul Newman?
    Also, I second you Mr. Peterson on the Reeve’s likeness on a child. It seems both morbid and creepy, like some cloning experiment for dead icons.

5. lifeisaglitch
    August 14, 2009 at 5:52 am — Reply

I see your point..the kid looks like Michael Reeves Jackson O__o
    On a more positive note though I FRAKKIN LOVE KID LUTHOR!

6. websnap
    August 14, 2009 at 10:42 am — Reply

How will this title be affected by the Siegels reclaiming the rights to Superman’s origin details (like Krypton, the name Kal-El, his parents, rocket to earth from a dying planet)? Are the able to use it, but just have to pay (like a toll) or do negotiations have to be made for each use?

7. Why??
    August 14, 2009 at 10:44 am — Reply

Why not just keep it the post-crisis origin? I liked the comics being different from the movie/television versions. Next up must be Superman returns from New Krypton to find Lois has had an autistic child and is married to Cyclops.

8. Mike Keller
    August 15, 2009 at 10:48 am — Reply

I once thought that when casting for Sherlock Holmes, that people were trying to emulate Basil Rathbone. Yet the original illustrations depict a thin, tall man with a hooked nose. I actually think young Clark looks almost more like Liz Taylor than Chris Reeves, but I have no problem to an artist being “inspired” by someone who already played the part. Now if he starts to look like Robert Downey….