AMC has been doing some big things in the cable realm over the last couple of years.  The Mad Men series took off like wildfire, and now it looks like AMC is looking to adapt Robert Kirkman’s Walking Dead for the small screen as well.

Frank Darabont is on board to write, direct and exec produce the project, with Gale Anne Hurd of Valhalla Pictures and David Alpert of Circle of Confusion also executive producing.

I’m glad a cable network picked up the rights to this property instead of a movie studio, which really couldn’t do justice to the comic book in a single movie.  While Darabont is a fine writer, it would be even better if Kirkman were on board to help write the screenplay.

via THR

MSP#125: The Goon Podcast

LEGO getting the movie treatment

1. Poddington
    August 12, 2009 at 8:02 am — Reply

2. August 12, 2009 at 8:19 am — Reply

Sweet! I actually just got into this series while digging through the TBPs. Can’t wait to see it live.

3. Jacin B
    August 12, 2009 at 8:49 am — Reply

I’m in.

4. August 12, 2009 at 9:33 am — Reply

One of the few series I could see being turned into a TV show without losing it’s charm. I can’t wait.

5. August 12, 2009 at 10:04 am — Reply

This could be great!

6. Gaumer
    August 12, 2009 at 10:40 am — Reply

Whoa and they got a descent writer and director planned

Frank Darabont did the Shawshank Redemption (written from a King story if I remember right).

This could rock.

7. August 12, 2009 at 10:42 am — Reply

Now I really need to pick up the trades. The manager of thecomic shop I worked a few years ago used to push/suggest this title to everyone that walked through the door, so I knida never read it out of spite! LOL

But I still hear good things from lots of people, so I guess it is time to bite the bullet.

8. downbylaw
    August 12, 2009 at 6:16 pm — Reply

I truly am excited for this series and am glad that they choose to do a t.v. series instead of a film.

AMC is supposed to be a pretty reputable channel so I trust this is in good hands.

For those who have not read the series it perhaps is the saddest most epic ongoing story there is to date. You really see the characters evolve and in my opinion zombies are handled as more of background then an overuse. In short I love the sociological aspects of the book.

9. TheEnd
    August 14, 2009 at 9:48 am — Reply

Great news!!! Now where’s the Preacher HBO series???