It should come as no surprise to find out that G.I. Joe took the number one spot at the box office this weekend, bringing in $100.3 million worldwide.  This is one of the biggest openings for a movie opening in August.  The movie brought in the young male demographic as expected, but it also brought in a fair number of families eager to check out the Hasbro action figures gone movie heroes.

As expected, the strong opening weekend, has prompted Paramount to order a follow up sequel.

via Variety

Ultimatum: Just What Ultimate Universe Needed

Hero History: The Last Legacy Of Krypton

1. hermit
    August 10, 2009 at 7:27 am — Reply

does box office really mean anything anymore? next week, when the next big movie is released, everybody will forget this one.

put it against something like Transformer 2 or Terminator 4, and we’ll see who wins.

2. Navarre
    August 10, 2009 at 7:37 am — Reply

The box office totals may not really mean much but positive reviews do. It seems G.I. Joe delivered for what it is supposed to be.

That is good. There was always a chance that the film would be terrible in all regards so I am glad to see that the comic-book-to-movie franchise is holding strong.

There may be a glut of such movies out there but it sure is nice to see enjoyable (and sometimes, faithful) adaptations of everything I enjoyed as a kid. And when it comes down to it, the enjoyment of a movie is the only reason it matters.

3. August 10, 2009 at 9:52 am — Reply

I kind of found GI Joe to be what transformers should have been: an off the wall action flick, but with characters that had enough subtle depth to them that the story didn’t become compromised.

4. Generik
    August 10, 2009 at 10:17 am — Reply

I have read a couple reviews really praising GI Joe. I look forward to seeing it this coming weekend and am happy that it did well enough to warrant a sequel already. My understanding is this was supposed to be more of an origin story. A sequel should be able to introduce a ton of the old Joe’s and villains.

5. Brother129
    August 10, 2009 at 10:58 am — Reply

I think one of the things that really irritates me on this site and others is that we tend to do a lot of bashing of comic book movies, adaptations, and actors before we’ve even seen a reel. When people talk about their childhood memories being ruined, I’m not sure if they are really thinking about what they’re saying. G.I. Joe was never billed as the next Dark Knight. It delivered the goods for what it was was and never tried to be anything else. I think Jacin B nailed it earlier when he reminded all of us to go back and watch the cartoon…it was terrible…but we loved it nonetheless. Watching the movie with the kid took me back on my nostalgic moments and we loved the characters, great action sequences and the lightness of the film. G.I. Joe was never intended to be a grim and gritty war epic, rather a sleek group of special operatives who regularly fought a colorful group of adversaries.

6. leloup
    August 10, 2009 at 12:30 pm — Reply

Saw the movie this weekend with Up and Transformers 2, and ignoring that Up is a different type of movie, I enjoyed GI JOE more than Transformers. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen an action flick as fun as GI JOE was. It tried to nothing more than a special effects extravaganza with great action and a storyline that was surprisingly interesting considering where it could have gone.

7. Modok
    August 10, 2009 at 3:18 pm — Reply

Let’s see where it stands in 2 weeks. The money movies make on opening weekend does not say a damn thing about the movie’s quality. Where it stands after a couple of weeks does.