20th Century Fox has Ridley Scott back for a fifth Alien movie that is not a remake of the first or a sequel to the last, but a prequel to the entire Alien franchise.

It will precede that film, in which the crew of a commercial towing ship returning to Earth is awakened and sent to respond to a distress signal from a nearby planetoid. The crew discovers too late that the signal generated by an empty ship was meant to warn them.

Jon Spaihts will write the script, with Ridley Scott tapped to direct the feature.

via Variety

Major Spoilers Adventures: A Song of Torq

Boom! Studios Sneak Peek of the Week

1. Dboy Mugg
    July 31, 2009 at 11:00 am — Reply

This made my day! Man, I hope it happens!

2. Brian
    July 31, 2009 at 11:24 am — Reply

Sounds cool and all but I wanted to see Ripley again. :( Her age wouldn’t even be that much of a deterant as they could just have chalked it up to a side effect of her cloning (rapid aging). Sigourney didn’t even have to fight much or at all, just be present.

3. Gobnuts
    July 31, 2009 at 11:53 am — Reply

Wouldn’t the “Aliens” prequel be “Alien”? ;)

Seriously though, a new Alien film would be great.

4. July 31, 2009 at 12:29 pm — Reply

Everything hinges on a good script from Jon Spaihts…anyone know what kind of track record he has?

5. Direphoenix
    July 31, 2009 at 12:33 pm — Reply

so this is actually a prequel to “Alien”?

6. Wicked
    July 31, 2009 at 12:37 pm — Reply

I would assume it might involve the crew that left the warning that the crew of “Alien” landed for. w00t an early version of ASH maybe?

7. Brian
    July 31, 2009 at 1:25 pm — Reply

I just hope they don’t mess the title of the movie up too much. Alien: Beginings sounds about right. I don’t want Alien(s) 5 to mess up the numbering system

8. July 31, 2009 at 3:02 pm — Reply

It sounds very nice, I love the alien movies. They fascinated me as a child and still do today. But I have an issue with the storyline of the new one. Ridley Scott is wtiting it, so yeah it should be great but doesn’t it sound like the story of the first Alien movie? As I read the headline that Ridley Scott is up for an Alien prequel I thought “yay now we are gonna know how these strange mumfied aliens in the first alien got the Alien aliens. Oh god too many aliens for me. So I’m crossing my fingers for that one !!

9. August 1, 2009 at 2:38 pm — Reply

Ridley must direct.
    I’ll be sooo bummed if this is mediocre.

10. Lars Hansson
    August 6, 2009 at 3:56 am — Reply

Where’s Dan O’Bannon and who is Jon Spaihts?

11. pod people
    July 10, 2010 at 2:02 pm — Reply

Its going to be about the “SpaceJockey” skeleton, and how they ended up in that situation.