Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Skottie Young

Review: Dark Avengers #7

1. ~wyntermute~
    July 30, 2009 at 3:39 pm — Reply

*The savage, solitary Wyntericus Muteum ranges predatorily across the Major Spoiler veldt… Noting a change in the air, the snarky biped sees the unsuspecting cover image drinking at a nearby watering hole. Deciding it is not worth his time, the fierce hunter-gatherer-reader shuffles off lazily in search of inattentive zebras to devour instead.*

2. Sam Dunham
    July 30, 2009 at 3:41 pm — Reply

How is this wrong? Let me count the ways…

3. Brother129
    July 30, 2009 at 3:51 pm — Reply

I’m digging it!

4. Hey!
    July 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm — Reply

It looks like he needs to take a wicked shit.

5. Kirby
    July 30, 2009 at 4:00 pm — Reply

Not since the days of Leifeld have proportions looked so off. (Sorry that’s a bit cruel.)

6. Outside of Dreams
    July 30, 2009 at 4:05 pm — Reply

Since when did Reed become so rugged and chiseled? He looks like Reed Fury, or Nick Richards…. You could park the Fantasticar on that jawline.

7. davek
    July 30, 2009 at 4:14 pm — Reply

Oh yes. Reed Richards is on the juice. Barry Bonds has nothing on this fella.

8. July 30, 2009 at 4:18 pm — Reply

No, see. He’s elastic. His legs are curved that way on purpose.

He’s also widened himself. And…uh…protruded his package a bit.

9. Sam Dunham
    July 30, 2009 at 4:18 pm — Reply

I just noticed… there’s another Reed off to the side. Why do we need two Reeds on the cover?

10. websnap
    July 30, 2009 at 4:25 pm — Reply

um, why is Nick Fury dressed up as Mr Fantastic?

11. Kevin
    July 30, 2009 at 4:31 pm — Reply

Agree with the Liefeld comment. Horrible picture. Variant cover of death.

12. Salieri
    July 30, 2009 at 4:41 pm — Reply

If he’s solving everything, let’s hope he gets Rulk and Rubbishulk to bugger off into the Heroes Reborn universe where they belong…

13. davek
    July 30, 2009 at 4:44 pm — Reply

And look how grumpy Namor seems. Again, Reed’s found the trump card in dealing with that macho jackass – stubble.

14. lifeisaglitch
    July 30, 2009 at 4:57 pm — Reply

I like it cause of the Molly Hayes and Deadpool…Actually im diggin the art of all of the frame characters..dunno whats going on with Reed there in the middle though.

15. July 30, 2009 at 5:05 pm — Reply

I love Eaglesham’s work, but his buff Reed is weirding me out. The Reed I know and love doesn’t look like Doc Savage.

I suppose it makes sense in a way, though. If I nerdy science guy can alter his physical appearance, why not make himself bigger?

16. Ziekk
    July 30, 2009 at 5:18 pm — Reply

Josh, he’s done it before, during Onslaught. Made himself all Hulk-sized.

That doesn’t mean I like this cover. He looks like a jerk.

17. Jacin B
    July 30, 2009 at 5:49 pm — Reply

“If [a] nerdy science guy can alter his physical appearance, why not make himself bigger?”

18. Jacin B
    July 30, 2009 at 5:53 pm — Reply

Of all of the disturbing things about this picture, I think I find most disturbing the apparent fact that, if Reed touches himself just so, right around his belt area, he can make objects appear in splurts of glowing whitish “energy” which seems to bubble forth from that area he’s touching …

19. Jim
    July 30, 2009 at 5:54 pm — Reply

Is it just me or does border Nick Fury look like Cory Feldman?

20. ~wyntermute~
    July 30, 2009 at 6:07 pm — Reply

HAH~~~!!! IT DOES LOOK LIKE FELDMAN!!!! *falls over and dies lolling*

Omg. Good call.

21. hermit
    July 30, 2009 at 6:15 pm — Reply

that is one ugly cover

but that’s just me.

22. July 30, 2009 at 6:32 pm — Reply

It’s not just you.

And I hate the short sleeves.

Hate ’em, hate ’em, hate ’em. At least they gave up on the ridiculous fingerless gloves.

23. typhoidhater
    July 30, 2009 at 6:33 pm — Reply

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that was Nick Fury at first glance…

24. downbylaw
    July 30, 2009 at 6:40 pm — Reply

who in their right mind thought this was a good cover?

do they not have meetings where they decide if they are going to approve a cover or what?

get Scottie Young up in this mug!

25. lifeisaglitch
    July 30, 2009 at 7:19 pm — Reply

You magnificent bastard!

26. July 30, 2009 at 7:27 pm — Reply

And the little children were scarred for life…

27. davek
    July 31, 2009 at 1:25 am — Reply

That’s actually Corey Haim in the Iron Man outfit, if you could see past the mask.

28. Rowan
    July 31, 2009 at 7:41 am — Reply

I just like the floating Coffee Maker, I think Reed has made life easier for everyone including Spider-man who always gets a bum rap. Now he can swing around and then stick to a wall and always have a hot steaming cup of delicious coffee.

29. Jacin B
    July 31, 2009 at 8:44 am — Reply

I think it’s sad that the artist didn’t even bother scribbling his name at the bottom of this particular work of art. Perhaps after drawing ridiculously-buff-Reed, he didn’t have the strength left in his fingers to even sign his own name.

30. Big Money B.G.
    July 31, 2009 at 10:55 am — Reply

So what do you get when you mix 70’s and 90’s Marvel comic covers?

It looks like the Reed that’s part of the frame is looking to reach-out and strangle the big one. And what exactly is the main Reed DOING, anyway?!

Looks like he was walking down the hallway and he suddenly got horrible stomach cramps, the way he’s holding his midsection and his knees are buckling. But then he has that “I just farted and got away with it!” smile on his face. Are these just some side-effects of whatever cosmic steroids Richards is apparently taking? Will Congress forcibly erase him from history after this revelation?

31. davek
    July 31, 2009 at 5:06 pm — Reply

No, he’ll just make a deal with the devil where he and Sue were never married. That only screws up their story dynamic anyway.

ZING! OMD SLAM! It’s like mentioning Hitler on the Internet!

32. benty
    August 1, 2009 at 12:22 am — Reply

Ron Burgundy explains why Reed has the short sleeves and how he got Sue

“The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show… “

33. Rodrigo
    August 1, 2009 at 11:16 am — Reply

I think that frame will be appearing in a lot of books, not just this one

34. xrayguy
    August 2, 2009 at 7:54 pm — Reply

I thought this WAS Nick Fury in a FF outfit til I saw the Gumby arm. Kinda look like James Brolin from the Marcus Welby days. Yes, I am old.

35. Lou
    August 5, 2009 at 5:47 pm — Reply

I guess everyone has forgotten the way Jack Kirby was drawing Reed from the second year on. Reed was tall and muscular with a very square jaw, and often had stubble. This cover just updates that look.

36. Joseph Joestar
    August 30, 2009 at 10:14 am — Reply

Dale Eaglesham’s art smacks of “Tom of Finland.”