SDCC'09: Warner Bros. Panel Wrap Up

Stargate: Voyager.

2. Hey!
    July 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm — Reply

That looks shitteous.

3. dwashba
    July 24, 2009 at 4:19 pm — Reply

I don’t get it why do they have a spaceship if they can just use a stargate?

4. Generik
    July 24, 2009 at 5:04 pm — Reply

Well, I’ll give it a watch.. but that certainly not what I was hoping for.

5. July 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm — Reply

They need to be on the space ship as without knowing their location in relation to earth they can’t dial the number for earth. Also if they are really the otherside of the universe they’ll not make it to earth on a normal stargate anyway. It took allot to get a stargate to “gate” to another galaxy in Atlantis before they decided that “stranded away from earth in a galaxy with new mysteries and dangers” wasn’t a good enough premise to continue with. Which makes me wonder if they thought it best to scrap that idea then why rehash it now?

I’m not complaining too much I thought the concept held enough promise to be used for longer with Atlantis but I’m not expecting anything brilliant the SG franchise was great and then all the writing and storyline decisions took a massive nosedive.

6. lifeisaglitch
    July 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm — Reply

So im the only one that thought that looked good?

7. Oz
    July 24, 2009 at 6:38 pm — Reply

Stargate: Battlestar Voyager

8. Oz
    July 24, 2009 at 6:39 pm — Reply

In a galaxy far, far away…

9. Watson
    July 24, 2009 at 6:39 pm — Reply

I think they may have lost something in the grittyness.

10. svzurich
    July 24, 2009 at 7:14 pm — Reply

Misfits stuck on a ship that autopilots around the galaxy dropping stargates, cut off from Earth. I have low expectations from this one. Atlantis’ original premise was similar before they started changing things to bring SG1 in. Sci-Fi couldn’t stick with that, and now they are trying again? I predict fail.

Just like their new spelling of Sci-Fi. Fail.

11. Night Marshal
    July 24, 2009 at 7:29 pm — Reply

Its looks really cool, that said none of the writers have changed from Stargate: Atlantis and few pieces of dialog we do hear sound as said and tired as everything we hard on Stargate: Atlantis

That said it looks like they are really going all out with the CGI and sets rather than medieval village of the week.

Still very wait and see, but I do plan on watching it.

12. Serena
    July 24, 2009 at 10:08 pm — Reply

Still bitter about SGA. This trailer did not inspire me to watch SGU, just seems like they are trying far too hard to be cutting edge and it just falls flat.

13. JB
    July 25, 2009 at 5:33 am — Reply

Well that was…weird. I mean the one thing I got from this trailer is the strange impression that this thing has no point. There was absolutely nothing that made me want to watch it, it just seemed like a number of clichéed, pre-formatted elements put in a blender, and they added a Stargate.

I’m not a Stargate fan, mind you, I’m just trying to express the feeling that this trailer conveyed. And it feels like one of the flattest, most pointless and bland things I have ever seen. Keanu Reeves isn’t that dull, at least when he talks it makes sense.

They could have just named it “Big Sci-Fi Money Maker : Now with more Stargates !”

14. paul nolan
    July 25, 2009 at 5:48 am — Reply

Yes it looks like its starting point is similar to BSG or Voyager or Farscape, but it where they take it from that starting point… I’ll certainly give it a try.

15. Night Marshal
    July 25, 2009 at 6:44 am — Reply

I think there is nothing wrong with the lost ship idea. I mean as Steven is one to point out with modern retelling of Shakespeare the idea of the lost ship goes all the way back to Homers Odyssey. So yes there are ties to BSG, Voyager, but there are also ties to Lost in Space, Blake 7, Space 1999, and the Flying Dutchman, etc.

Its really becomes a issue of how they make it there own. Something based on the last few year of Atlantis I need to see to believe.

16. Joshua S. Hill
    July 25, 2009 at 9:32 pm — Reply

My problem is that the cast looks brilliant… Diamond Phillips and the sciencey guy, I love them both! So… well, we’ll see, huh?