I almost had a geek-gasm when I read the headline that director Sam Raimi will direct the World of Warcraft movie.  Unfortunately, this will not be an animated feature done by the folks at Blizzard.  Fortunately, the live action feature film will be directed by Army of Darkness creator Sam Raimi.   Raimi will oversee pre-production, and shoot the film after he finishes work on Spider-Man 4.

The “Warcraft” universe features an epic conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. The game has developed a global following since its launch in 1994 and shows no signs of slowing. Its most recent expansion, “Wrath of the Lich King,” sold more than 2.8 million copies in the first day of release and more than 4 million its first month.

The film is being financed through Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. which were the two companies behind Batman: Dark Knight.   No word on a scheduled release date.

via Variety

SDCC'09: Stan Lee and Disney Team for Time Jumper

Dark Horse and EA team for Mass Effect comic series

1. Gaumer
    July 22, 2009 at 10:16 am — Reply

This just fits

I’m excited all over again for this flick.

2. Brad
    July 22, 2009 at 11:15 am — Reply

I know I will go see it, but after years of enjoying cut scenes intro’s to games, and different movies that fire off for levels for the old rts, I wanted a blizzard movie.

their CGI is always so breath taking, years before Pixar or anybody else was giving us CGI that wowed us Blizzard was making us fans say “Wow I wish I could see them do a whole movie”

Again I know I will see it, I bet live action will be cool and I’m happy that Sam is directing it (hopefuly spidey 4 does well so he gets a lot of publicity going into it) But i will still be awaiting the day that the folks at blizzard finally give us a direct to DVD or a movie that is thier animation, thier voices to our game which so many of us love

3. DrStrangeCubicle
    July 22, 2009 at 11:28 am — Reply

WoW has some interesting stories that could be mined for a movie, but it really would require a series, I think. Not sure this will end well.

4. John Morales AKA uglyhooker
    July 22, 2009 at 11:42 am — Reply

Holy rusted metal Arthas!!

I hope this is EPIC, like in the LOTR trilogy!! I do hope that Sam Raimi doesn’t include a dance scene (see Spider Man 3), that would be nasty.

• July 22, 2009 at 11:58 am — Reply

Considering the game features dancing characters as a feature, it would be keeping in line with the game.

5. Brian Duff
    July 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm — Reply

I’m hoping that all the “fun” features will be omitted from the movie… that there won’t be some drawn out scrolling text across the screen. If they do that, like with LOTR, I’m going to smack the person in front of me in the theatres when I see this moie. I swear…

6. Gaumer
    July 22, 2009 at 2:23 pm — Reply

Oh yea, if I see a naked dwarf dancing on a mailbox I’ll walk out

7. ~wyntermute~
    July 22, 2009 at 3:25 pm — Reply

Maybe this is some residual bitterness from an long-ago D&D-er, but I hope this movie tanks hard like the “Dungeons & Dragons” one did. They better cast a Wayans in this one too, if there is any such thing as karma.

8. :D
    July 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm — Reply

Megan Fox as elf!
    rawr!

9. Layne
    July 24, 2009 at 6:59 am — Reply

All I want is a cameo by Mr. T as a Night Elf Mohawk……that would be *AWESOME*

10. :D
    July 26, 2009 at 6:03 am — Reply

Hah! That would be truly classic if they did that!

Perhaps just some scene where Mr. T is randomly bashing and pittying stuff in the background.