This week on the Major Spoilers Podcast, the Major Spoilers Crew are taking on Preacher Volume 1 from DC Comics.

Amazon description:

Here’s a book guaranteed to offend a bunch of people, not only because of its profuse profanity and graphic violence, but because it’s the epitome of iconoclasm. Like a brutal accident, you can’t watch but you can’t turn away. The story follows an ex-preacher man, Jesse, who has become disgusted with God’s abandoning of His responsibilities. So Jesse starts off into the wilds of Texas with his hitman girlfriend and new best friend (a vampire) to find God so that he can give Him a piece of his mind. Despite its superficial perversity, this book contains what may be the most moral character in mainstream comics. A cult hit in the making. Fans of Quentin Tarantino take note.

As always,  the Major Spoilers Podcast is nothing without comments from great readers and listeners like you.  You can use the comment section below, drop us a voice mail by calling (785) 727-1939, or record your comments and send it as an MP3 file in an email to podcast@majorspoilers.com.

Here’s your chance to be heard on the show!  Give us your thoughts on this trade paperback, or if you want to share your thoughts on the state of the comic book industry, or anything else that might be on your mind drop us a line.  Only the most awesome comments (good or bad) make it on the show, so get your stuff to us right away!

We record the new show Tuesday night, so make sure you have your contribution to us by 5:00 PM CST Tuesday evening.

Art Appreciation Moment of the Day: Tim Seeley

DC Comics for October 2009

1. MaximusRift
    July 20, 2009 at 4:51 pm — Reply

No poll this week? I could give you some ideas if you like. ;p

2. Salieri
    July 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm — Reply

What a coincidence!

(Apart from that I got nothing. I only ever read PREACHER: SALVATION, and delighted in it purely because I knew and still know next to nothing about Preacher.)

3. July 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm — Reply

Maximus: Later tonight.

4. Shawn
    July 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm — Reply

Can’t friggin’ wait for this one. I have all of the Preacher TPBs from the first time they came out. Loved them all.

5. hermit
    July 20, 2009 at 9:54 pm — Reply

i discovered and learned to love Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon through Preacher. contrary to The Boys, Preacher is both fun and say something about our society (i know, The Boys is about deconstructing super-heroes).

oh yeah, Go F*** Yourself! (not really, if you read Preacher, you’ll get it)

6. Shawn
    July 20, 2009 at 10:32 pm — Reply

I finished The Boys Vol. 4 TPB last week. I loved the first one but my interested has waned with each volume. I don’t remember that happening with each volume of Preacher.

7. Slappy
    July 20, 2009 at 11:42 pm — Reply

One of my favorite comic series of all time. The writing was spectacular. The art fit the story.
    A man who talks to and listens to the Duke. Check
    Drunken Irish Vampire? Check
    Gun weilding Hot Chick? Check
    Southern Minister with the spawn of an Angel and a Demon in his head? Check.
    Group protecting the heir of Christ? Check.
    Man who literally FUCKS HIMSELF? Check.

Sounds like a swell time.

8. Kirby
    July 21, 2009 at 12:15 am — Reply

Preacher is a wonderful series and is one along with Fables that I give to people when I explain why I read comics. Dillion’s art is wonderful from the start, but it noticably changes as the series goes along. The dark comedy in this arc is fantastic, such as Tool and his ‘Eastwood in Tightrope’ partner.

I am not a religous person, so the anti-Christian is not bothersome to me. But it could be troubling to those of faith?

One thing that I think about is: What is the purpose of the graphic sex and violence? Making a point? Shock-value?

9. Kirby
    July 21, 2009 at 12:19 am — Reply

P.S.

Too bad the friggin’ Catholic League stopped the series from being made into a tv show on HBO.

If a film were to be made Robert Rodriguez would be my personal choice for director.

10. July 21, 2009 at 4:02 am — Reply

I’ve read the first two trades so far and I plan on finsihing the story at some time in the undefined future. There is some nice dialogue and characterization going on in it, but it’s sometimes hard to read for me because… well, I might be a bit of a sissy.
    But still, as far as I can remember, beneath all the violence and amorality, there is a nice story hidden in there.

11. July 21, 2009 at 4:15 pm — Reply

Awesome book and awesome series.

You know, as dark and gory as this series is, I think it may be Ennis’s most positive story.

12. Dan Hunter
    July 21, 2009 at 8:07 pm — Reply

1995 – the year I started taking note of the Vertigo Imprint
    I wasn’t one for death and sandman and hadn’t gotten into the misadventures of a certain scouse (meaning he’s from Liverpool – my old stomping ground don’t you know) wizard.

Preacher was the reason, the names Fabry, Dillon and Ennis were one’s I recognized from 2000AD and so I read it.
    A heap of ideas, great characters who grew as the arc progressed and controversial? Depends on your view point, but I personally think controversy is a good way to start conversation.
    Definitely for adults only, a rip roaring satire reflecting the issues of the world we live in.

• July 22, 2009 at 11:28 am — Reply

Heh. I actually knew that. Especially after Micky Dolenz wrote a song in 1967 that was released as a Monkee’s B-side track using a phrase he picked up during a party in London (where, famously, he met and smoked with Paul McCartney). The title of the song was apparently a slang phrase, possibly cockney, that Micky liked the sound of, but upon wider release (i.e. outside the United States) was revealed to have very rude connotations. The name of the song?

“Randy Scouse Git.”

And NOW you know… The REST… Of The Story.

13. Dan Hunter
    July 22, 2009 at 9:35 pm — Reply

Matthew: As ever, your source of random knowledge astounds me.
    I looked up the song on you tube. I’m amazed that they included said musical piece in series 2 of the Monkees.
    :-D

• July 22, 2009 at 9:51 pm — Reply

I’m amazed that they included said musical piece in series 2 of the Monkees.

It’s a wonderful piece, with that timpani drum open that builds to the weird 20’s piano stylings. :) Micky was truly a man out of his time…