I really thought Transformers or Star Trek would be the big box office buster of the summer, but here it is not quite Friday (check the post date), and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince has already hit $100 million worldwide.  Granted only $58.2 million is from U.S. ticket sales, but the one day total is astounding.

This is the largest opening for the movie franchise, even though the final book came out two years ago.  I would have thought the first Potter movie would have been the big hit simply because of the fan anticipation.  If this is the tip of the iceberg, I can’t wait until Monday when the weekend take comes in.

I’m hoping to find a moment to see the movie real soon. How many of you will see Harry Potter this weekend?

via Variety

Victoria cosplays as Princess Leia on Friday

SDCC'09: 9 hits up Comic-Con

1. Kirby
    July 16, 2009 at 11:12 pm — Reply

I’m gonna see it. I’m a fanboy of the series.

2. gilbert
    July 16, 2009 at 11:59 pm — Reply

i saw it. easily the best movie in the series. a great mixture of both humor and dark undertones and sets it up very nicely for the finale.

3. ~wyntermute~
    July 17, 2009 at 2:18 am — Reply

Saw it already (I was part of that midnight madness) Bleh. Like….. I’m soured on the whole thing, cuz I’m one of those “book purists”, but…. Even despite that I felt this was kinda blah. It had some “teen comedy” moments, some “poorly over-acted moments” (mostly Emma.. God. Kid, lay off the “draaaawma”), and some good stuff scattered in amongst it all. But, like, the storyline is “broken” by all the things they’ve had to cut, so if you can ignore that (like most of the people in my theatre seemed to) you’ll be doing fine. :)

4. Josh P.
    July 17, 2009 at 6:41 am — Reply

Seeing it tonight (Friday).

5. John Morales AKA uglyhooker
    July 17, 2009 at 9:22 am — Reply

I am a DIE hard Harry Potter fan and I LOVED this move!! Sure their were things that were changed, added, left out ECT but what can you do??

Overall I think this movie is freaking SWEET and is the best HP flick so far.

I hope you enjoy!

6. Gaumer
    July 17, 2009 at 10:27 am — Reply

I saw it with my wife, she’s the HP fan. The 2012 trailer looked badass tho.

She was disappointed but I told her they dont have to make movies based on the books anymore they can just make movie sequels. Thats what this felt like: not a book adaptation, but rather a movie sequel.

Harry was wearing more make-up than Herminone BTW ;)

7. ~wyntermute~
    July 17, 2009 at 10:44 am — Reply

“Thats what this felt like: not a book adaptation, but rather a movie sequel.”

You, sir, hit the nail on the head. This is not “the adaptation of book 6”, but rather “the sequel to the other movies”. :) And also the prequel to the ‘franchise-within-the-franchise’ known as “Deathly Hallows 1 & 2”. Like… I thought of that while waiting for the opening credits to roll: This series of movies has spawned a two-part finale. Has that EVER happened? Leave it to Potter…

8. eric
    July 17, 2009 at 10:50 pm — Reply

I saw the movie, and I loved it. I thought the Goblet of Fire was the best until this one. They are both very good. I have chosen to not read the books until after the movies are all done so I wont be disappointed like I was with the Star Trek movie. The last movie / book was so big the studios thought about doing the last movie in two movies. Studios should do that more often. If it is done correctly who cares how many movies it takes to tell a story.

9. Matt
    July 18, 2009 at 2:11 pm — Reply

If you think about it, the reason why this movie is doing so well is the core demographic that read and enjoyed the books just hit an age where they can go to the movies alone without parental supervision.