During the Major Spoilers 100th Issue Extravaganza, we challenged listeners to list the sources of Matthew’s 100 pop culture references.Â Five people stepped up to the plate, with Bruce Otter getting the most correct, and walking away with Neil Gaiman’s Sandman Volume 2: Absolute Edition.
If your mind was too burned over listening for 15 minutes, take the jump and see the rundown for yourself.
1) Buckle your seatbelts, darlings, itâ€™s going to be a bumpy night. – Bette Davis, All About Eve, 1950.
2) The Major Spoilers podcast: Nerd-tested.Â Dork approved. – Kix cereal Slogan from the 1970’s.
3) Oh, YOU DIDN’T KNOW??? YO ASS BETTA CALL SOMEBODY!!! – The Entrance announcement for the New Age Outlaws wrestling tag team circa 1998.
4) Niagara Falls!!! Slowly I turnedâ€¦ Step by stepâ€¦ INCH by INCH. – Vaudeville routine, popularized by Abbott and Costello in the 40’s.
5) They all think I’m crazy, but I know better. It is not I who are crazy. It is I who am *mad*! Can’t you hear them? Didn’t you see the crowd? – Ren and Stimpy circa 1990 something.
6) I suddenly have the strangest feeling that I’m being turned into a puppet… – The cover of Flash (volume 1) #133
7) Uh oh! Chongo! – catchphrase from the kid’s show Danger Island circa 1967.
8) The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip malls should be. Cookies on dowels… All those moments, lost in time… like… eggs off a hooker’s stomach. Time to die… – Phil Ken Sebben’s death scene from Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.
9) Hola, amigos! What gives? I know it’s been a while since I rapped at ya, but I been busier than a cop in a donut shop. – the customary opening line of the Jim Anchower opinion column in The Onion and on www.theonion.com.
10) Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel. – Lyric from the Doors “Roadhouse Blues”.
11) Taste the soup! Where’s the spoon? AHAAAA! – Punchline to a joke told in the movie Coming To America.
12) There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer: The Wills, the Won’ts, and the Can’ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won’ts oppose everything, and the Can’ts won’t try anything… – A quote from V.I.NCent, voiced by Roddy MacDowell, in the movie The Black Hole.
13) Phineas J. Whoopie, You’re the Greatest! – recurring line from “Tenessee Tuxedo”
14) Bell… Biv… Devoe! Gonna fix the car… gonna take a whole lotta MILK-AH. – From a Kids In The Hall sketch, season three.
15) Iâ€™ll tell you something else, too. The same thing goes for CHRISTMAS! – Mike Nesmith line from the movie Head.
16) Prince of Night, I summon you. Come fill me with your black, naughty evil. – Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
17) They’re riding hard to catch that herd but they ain’t cought them yet… – Lyric from “Ghost Riders In The Sky.”
18) Best shoot low boys, they’re riding Shetland ponies! – Title of a Lewis Grizzard novel.
19) Ever go to eat a pork sausage and find its got hairs all over it? – Dead Milkmen Lyric.
20) Those pills are dangerous, but so’s geometry! – Jessie to AC Slater in the drug abuse episode of Saved By The Bell.
21) What did you expect? “Welcome, sonny”? “Make yourself at home”? “Marry my daughter”? You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons. – Gene Wilder in Blazing Saddles.
22) I fell on my keeeeys. – Gene Wilder in The Producers.
23) You shouldnâ€™t hang me on a hook, Johnny. My father hung me on a hook once. Once.” – Joe Piscopo in Johnny Dangerously.
24) I wouldn’t say I’m MISSING work, Bob. – Ron Livingston in Office Space.
25) Oh, now you’re doing it on purpose. How JUVENILE. – Thrakkorzog the alien dictator from The Tick.
26) You here four HOUR! Why you here four hour? YOU GO NOW!” – Reference to a Johnny Pinette comedy routine about a fat man at an all you can eat Chinese Buffet circa 1980 something.
27) Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three orange whips! – John Candy in The Blues Brothers.
28) Hello, K-K-Ken’s P-P-P-Pets! – Keven Kline in A Fish Called Wanda.
29) Killing yourself is a major commitment, it takes a kind of courage. – Robert Crumb, talking about idiots.
30) Now I’ve seen a lot of bullshit. Angel dust. Switchblades. Sexually perverse photography exibits involving tennis rackets. But this suicide thing… guess that’s more on Pauline’s wavelength. – The Principal in the movie Heathers.
31) Well then maybe in four minutes you’ll understand! – Hank Venture to his brother Dean after an argument about who is older.
32) Did we have to let them detonate three-quarters of the ship? Seeing as how they would have detonated four-quarters, I think it was a good choice. – Spring and Arcee exchange from Transformers: The Movie.
33) It’s a simple equation folks. Prostitution, divided by Hotels, equals dead Elves. – Sifl and Olly circa 1994 or thereabouts.
34) Cheer, cheer, cheer. Yell, yell, yell. Who cares who wins? We’re all goin’ to Hell. – Jane Lane from Daria.
35) Lucille, God gave me a gift. I shovel well. I shovel very well. – The Shoveler, Mystery Men.
36) Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay. – Thundercleese, The Brak Show.
37) Despite millions of dollars of research, death continues to be our nation’s number one killer. – Henry Gibson in The Kentucky Fried Movie.
38) You must chill! You must chill! I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS! – Lloyd Dobler in Say Anything.
39) I’m not a gay pirate, I have sex with my parrot all the time! – Marshall Erickson in How I Met Your Mother.
40) All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to sail her by! – Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka in Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.
41) But don’t take it out in public, Or they will stick you in the dock, And you won’t come back. – Eric Idle in Monty Python’s The Meaning Of Life.
42) The driver of the Shooting Star is the mysterious Racer X, secretly Speedâ€™s elder brother Rex! – Every episode of Speed Racer.
43) I love the way you laugh and I love the way your hair smells and I love it that sometimes for no reason you’re late for shul, and I don’t care that you’re bowlegged and I don’t care that you’re bilingual – all I know is that I would have said no to every single person on your list because I’ve always wanted you. – Climactic declaration of love from the movie Wet, Hot American Summer.
44) You know, beer and porn DO make the shift go faster. – Tom Servo, MST3K “Angel’s Revenge.”
45) Well, let me tell you one thing, son. Nobody ever lends money to a man with a sense of humor. – Peter Tork quote from the movie Head.
46) I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. – Number Six, The Prisoner.
47) Do you know how many time zones are in the Soviet Union ? Itâ€™s ridiculous! Itâ€™s not even funnyâ€¦ – lyrics to the song “Time Zones” by Negativland.
48) Screws fall out all the time, the world is an imperfect place. – John Bender, The Breakfast Club.
49) I took it easy today.Â I pretty much just laid around in my underwear all day…Â Â Got kicked out of quite a few places, though. – Bug-Eyed Earl from the comic strip “Red Meat.”
50) He’s a helicopter pilot by day, but by night he fights crime… as a werewolf. – Captain Murphy, Sealab 2021.
51) Looks like I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue… – Lloyd Bridges, Airplane.
52) What was that? An Exhibition? We need emotional content. Now try again! – Bruce Lee, Enter The Dragon.
53) Now I get up around whenever I used to get up on time But that old man, he’s a real mother@&$ Gonna kick him on down the line – lyric from Guns N Roses “Mr. Brownstone.”
54) Sweet Clyde … Laugh at them derisively! – from the Globetrotters episode of Futurama.
55) I’m not the first guy who fell in love with a woman that he met at a restaurant who turned out to be the daughter of a kidnapped scientist only to lose her to her childhood lover who she last saw on a deserted island who then turned out fifteen years later to be the leader of the French underground. – Val Kilmer as Nick Rivers from the movie Top Secret.
56) Why would there be a penguin in a wheatfield? – Killface, Frisky Dingo.
57) Honesty may be the best policy, but it’s important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy. – George Carlin quote.
58) I don’t do drugs anymore… than say, the average touring funk band. – Bill Hicks quote.
59) I’m caught in the middle – torn between my loyalty for the boss and my desire to piss with the lights on. – Randal Graves from the movie Clerks.
60) Wolfman’s got nards! – quote from the movie the Monster Squad circa 1981.
61) We’ve figured out how to travel through time at the speed of regular time with plastic bags. – Nathan Explosion, Metalocalypse.
62) Baxter! Is it you? Bark twice if you’re in Milwaulkee! – Ron Burgundy, Anchorman.
63) Play him off, Keyboard Cat! – reference to the website “Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat!”
64) She only speaks French, Roy. She doesn’t speak imbecile. – Lane Meyer in the movie Better Off Dead.
65) This is one time where television really fails to capture the majesty… of a large squirrel… predicting the weather. – Bill Murry as Phil Connors in Groundhog Day.
66) Wyatt, there are killer mutants in your house, okay? – Anthony Michael Hall in Weird Science.
67) Did you that if you hit a small house with a large vehicle, you can knock it right off the foundationsâ€¦ Donâ€™t feel bad if you didnâ€™t know, though, I learned the hard way. – Clutch of the G.I. Joe team from G.I. Joe #20.
68) As god is my witness, I thought TURKEYS COULD FLY!!!! – Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati.
69) My god, Barbie, are you a real doctor, or a doctor like Julius Erving is a doctor? – Dr. Perry Cox, Scrubs.
70) No, they would never do that. Well, the two Irish guys wouldn’t, the Italian guy, he might, he’s kind of an idiot. – quote from the movie Boondock Saints.
71) I am the puppet master. I manipulate many of the characters and events you will see. But *I* am invented, too, for your entertainment – and amusement. And you, poor creatures, who conjured *you* out of the clay? Is God in show business too? – Zardoz from the movie Zardoz.
72) Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin’ around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE? – Officer Foster, Super Troopers
73) You guys are so unhip, itâ€™s a wonder your BUMS donâ€™t fall off. – Zaphod Beeblebrox, The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe.
74) If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself? – Will Ferrell as Harry Caray, Saturday Night Live.
75) Perhaps, on your way home, someone will pass you in the dark, and you will never know it… for they will be from outer space! – The Narrator, Plan Nine From Outer Space.
76) Sir, does this mean Ann Margret is not coming? – Joker, Full Metal Jacket.
77) I seen the moon all white and pretty, like the hind of Conway Twitty! – Oliver Wendell Jones impersonator during the strike storyline in the “Bloom County” comic strip, circa 1984.
78) Don’t sell yourself short Judge, you’re a tremendous slouch. – Chevy Chase as Ty, Caddyshack.
79) Cricket? You’ve got to know what a crumpet it is to know cricket… – Raphael to Casey Jones in the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
80) So you see, my son, there is a very fine line between love and nausea. – James Earl Jones, Coming To America.
81) Oh, he’s just like any other man, only more so. – Rick describing Captain Renault, Casablanca, 1942.
82) I am de Batmaaan! I am de Batmaaaan! – John Pinette as Herve Villechaise as Batman circa 1980 something.
83) Look at it this way. Considering the type of people you are and the environment you’re in, you have to admit the strong possibility this may be the only chance you ever have in your entire lives… to have sex. – Val Kilmer as Chris Knight in the movie Real Genius.
84) There are no monkeys in the root cellar! – Mudge the talking cat from an episode of the Doodlebops circa 2006.
85) But his arms were so stiff … they stayed up straight in the air for more than a week, and whenever a fly came and settled on his nose he had to blow it off. – description of Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne.
86) This is 29 Acacia Road . And this is Eric, the schoolboy who leads an exciting double life. – the opening lines of the cartoon Bananaman, circa 1986 or so.
87) Some people juggle geese! – Hoban “Wash” Washburn, Firefly.
88) Up next: Doctor Tongue’s 3-D House of Slave Chicks! – quote from Count Floyd, SCTV.
89) Ten thousand dollars for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing. – Captain Quint, Jaws.
90) Glad to meet you, kid, you’re a real horse’s ass. – Paul Newman to Robert Redford, The Sting.
91) Well, I’ll tell you Stu, I did battle some humongous waves! But you know, just like I told the guy on ABC, “Danger is my business!” – Spiccoli’s dream sequence, Fast Times At Ridgemont High.
92) Oh, no! A bear is driving! – a line from the Korean animation sequence of the cartoon version of Clerks.
93) And boy-oh-boy, are we gonna have big fun today. We’re gonna have so much fun, we’ll forget about how miserable we are, and how much life sucks, and how we’re all gonna grow old and die someday. – Weird Al Yankovich as Uncle Nutsy from the movie UHF.
94) Reference to a dead guy.Â Reference to an old movie.Â Reference to a comic book.Â Reference to somebody Rodrigo’s never heard of.Â Reference to another dead guy. – Rodrigo Lopez, from Major Spoilers podcast #99.
95) But…Â Who Am Us, Anyway? – from the Firesign Theatre album “Don’t Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers!”
96) This? This is ice. This is what happens to water when it gets too cold. This? This is Stephenâ€¦ This is what happens to people when they get too sexually frustrated. – Chris describing nemesis Kent from the movie Real Genius.
97) Rodrigo here does the killin’. I don’t like to kill. I’m the brains, eh? Like, we got over five billion dollars in our hideout, only some of the money’s marked, eh, so we’re not spendin’ it. We’s just waitin’. – a reference to the jail scene of the movie Strange Brew with Bob and Doug McKenzie.
98) I was only â€˜all rightâ€™ up to about age six. After that, I was more or less consistently fantastic up until about twenty-five, and since that time I have been world class. How are you? – from the novel “The Callahan Touch” by Spider Robinson.
99) We’re like three little Fonzies… And what’s Fonzie like? – Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction.
100) You’re traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That’s the signpost up ahead – your next stop…Â The Major Spoilers Podcast is on the air! – Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone opening narration.
What say you, Major Spoilers Legion, should we go for 200 references for issue #200?