(Click for 3000 x 1582 image)
(Click for 3000 x 1582 image)

Disney has finally come to its senses and is returning to the world of hand drawn 2D animation.  This started up a discussion around stately Spoiler Manor about all sorts of animated movies.  We’re working on a special issue of the Major Spoilers Podcast for your listening pleasure next week.  The topic is Our Favorite Animated Movies, and we want know what’s on your list.

Remember: These are animated movies only, which means no television series (we’re saving that for another time).  Both 2D and 3D movies are up for grabs from anytime period and any country.

As always,  the Major Spoilers Podcast is nothing without comments from great readers and listeners like you.  You can use the comment section below, drop us a voice mail by calling (785) 727-1939, or record your comments and send it as an MP3 file in an email to podcast@majorspoilers.com.

We record the new shows Tuesday night, so make sure you have your contribution to us by 5:00 PM CST Tuesday evening.

SDCC'09: USB flash drives join the dark side

Asian American Comic-Con hits July 11, 2009

1. June 11, 2009 at 12:07 pm — Reply

Toy Story 2, My Neighbor Totoro, The Incredibles!

2. Allen Jones
    June 11, 2009 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm was and still is one of my favorite Batman movies. That was just a great movie put in the middle of the series, I was happily suprised when they put it in theaters.

3. Phil
    June 11, 2009 at 12:21 pm — Reply

Transformers The Movie, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Batman: Mask of The Phantasm and Monsters, Inc.

4. June 11, 2009 at 12:26 pm — Reply

Yes, Disney is returning to hand-drawn, 2-D animation, but the animation itself looks horrible.

5. Andy
    June 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm — Reply

The Iron Giant; Batman: Mask of the Phantasm; Monsters, Inc.; The Incredibles; Spirited Away; Beauty and the Beast (Disney); The Nightmare Before Christmas; Castle in the Sky; Porko Rosso; Up; Grave of the Fireflies

6. Rufus Jenkins
    June 11, 2009 at 1:09 pm — Reply

The Iron Giant, Transformers Movie, Up, Wall-E, Toy Story, Kung Fu Panda, The Incredibles, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Black Cauldron, Robin Hood, Titan AE

7. Kirby
    June 11, 2009 at 1:44 pm — Reply

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut; Ralph Bakshi’s Coonskin & American Pop; Cowboy Bebop: The movie; Transformers: The Movie; Red Vs. Blue (Don’t know if it counts, but hey what are you gonna do?).

8. Kirby
    June 11, 2009 at 1:52 pm — Reply

P.S. Did I see a Big Lipped Alligattor? If I see this movie, I wonder if it’ll change the voice I use for Ambrose, but probably not.

9. Mike
    June 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm — Reply

Aladdin, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, Beauty and The Beast, A Bug’s Life, The Incredibles, The Iron Giant, The Jungle Book, The Last Unicorn, The Lion King, Monsters, Inc., The Nightmare Before Christmas, Robin Hood, The Secret of NIMH, Toy Story, Toy Story 2, The Transformers: The Movie, Wall-E, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

10. morpheus
    June 11, 2009 at 3:27 pm — Reply

I would have to say my 3 favorite would be Transformers: The Movie, Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, and Aladin. With an honorable mention to Toy Story, and The Incredibles.

Transformers was my favorite show as a kid and it was the first movie that I remember going to see in the theater with my dad. That was some great father-son bonding.

Cowboy Bebop is the movie that got me into anime. I saw the movie before I had seen the series.

Aladin was just a great Disney movie, and Robin Williams was in it. I can still sit down and watch that movie.

11. Lifeisaglitch
    June 11, 2009 at 4:27 pm — Reply

Iron Giant, My Neighbor Totoro, The Incredibles, The Lion King and South Park the movie….Respect my auuuthoraaateeeeh!

Also i think A Bugs Life is way underrated…not a fav but i do think its one of Pixars better movies.

12. Callum
    June 11, 2009 at 4:57 pm — Reply

I agree with all that have gone before that Transformers teh movie was awesome, I still have a copy I taped from TV on VHS.

I also love The Emperor’s New Groove.

13. Brent from Bloomington"
    June 11, 2009 at 5:13 pm — Reply

Robin Hood, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Rescuers Down Under, Fivel Goes West, the Duck Tales Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, Space Jam, and Rock-a-Doodle. All of which are still awesome.

14. June 11, 2009 at 5:32 pm — Reply

I love the Incredibles, it is my favorite Pixar movie, and I love Nightmare Before Christmas. I really like Howl’s Moving Castle as well.

The South Park Movie never even occurred to me while reading the introduction article, but I have to put that on my list.

It got me to thinking about some of the offbeat animated movies out there that I’ve enjoyed. While not particularly great movies, I’ve always liked Ralph Bakshi’s Wizards and the Rankin-Bass version of The Hobbit, oddly both from 1977.

15. hermit
    June 11, 2009 at 5:56 pm — Reply

porco rosso. and mostly all of miyazaki filmo.

16. mosdef
    June 11, 2009 at 7:48 pm — Reply

Incredibles is my favorite of all time. Iron Giant, Goofy Movie, Lion King, A Troll In Central Park, All Dogs Go To Heaven, come on 80’S BABY!!!!!

17. June 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm — Reply

The Brave Little Toaster

18. June 11, 2009 at 10:14 pm — Reply

(Not my favorite, but worth mentioning)

19. June 12, 2009 at 5:19 am — Reply

First, I love all Miyazaki films. But my favorites, in order, are: Castle of Cagliostro, Porco Rosso, and Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

Of all Disney animated films, my favorite is Mulan, followed by Aladdin.

While I’m not a fan of computer animation, I like all Pixar films – well-written and visualized. Of those, my favorite is The Incredibles.

20. DMC
    June 12, 2009 at 10:20 am — Reply

FINALLY Disney is going back to basics.

My Favorites….random order

The Incredibles, Karas the Prophecy, Treasure Planet, Mulan, Hurcules, FF7 Advent Children (I’m a sucker for sick fight sequences and visually it still on top)

That’s it for now, there are soooo many great animated movies the I either still haven’t seen or can’t recall

21. HunterDan
    June 14, 2009 at 12:28 am — Reply

I have to go with Transformers the Movie. Way back in the 80’s you had numerous cartoon trying to make a feature length movie/episode. GI Joe, Thundercats, my little pony, care bears etc.
    Then one cartoon/toy franchise went a step further, instead of cheap tv fodder, they hired an all star cast, got a great story and an awesome rock n roll sound track.
    The movie starts with an amaxing hook of what is this huge metalic planet eater heading towards cybertron? In minutes you see your first transformer (unlike the recent live action picture) and then you’re taken on a wild ride that is action all the way. This movie doesn’t need Megan Fox, its got elation (Prime saving Autobot city), it’s got heart wrenching emotion (the passing of Prime), it’s got moments you can cheers (starscream finally getting it), comedy (wreck-gar) and action set piece after action set piece. The battle scenes are amazing and you always know who’s who. Try keeping a dry eye during the passing of the matrix, try supress a cheer when Galavtron is final defeated – there’s not many movies that can take you through a wide range of emotions and leave you wantiung more.

Why is it so good? Characterization of the transformers themselves, you are never confused as to who is who. It moves along at a cracking pace, a rollicking 80’s rock sound track and an awesome instrumental score by Vince Decola.