Comedy Central has confirmed that it has ordered up a new batch of Futurama episodes to air on the cable channel beginning in 2010.  Twenty-six episodes have been ordered, and Billy West and John DiMaggio have both signed to return to the long running on again off again animated series.

“It’s sweet, and basically everybody who has worked on the show wants to come back,” Matt Groening said. “I choose to believe it’s more than the economic situation. People had a good time working on this show.”

While Comedy Central may look to be sitting in the cat-bird seat, 20th Century Fox does have the option of turning the first broadcast rights to the new episodes to a broadcast network (i.e. Fox) if the series takes off, or becomes financially viable again.  Seems like a crappy deal for Comedy Central, but in this case, its the fans that win as we’re able to get more Bender/Fry action real soon.

via Variety

MSP#102: Y: Because We Liked It!

First Look: Mickey Rourke is Whiplash

1. hermit
    June 10, 2009 at 8:48 am — Reply

rumors have been circulating since the end of the movie run. i’m happy that they finally announced it.

2. Kirby
    June 10, 2009 at 9:12 am — Reply

I’m happy mainly because I think Futurama works better as a 22-minute show rather than the movies.

3. Salieri
    June 10, 2009 at 9:31 am — Reply

I punched the air voluntarily.

4. George McBain
    June 10, 2009 at 10:13 am — Reply

I’m gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers! Ah, forget the amusement park.

@Kirby: I agree except for the most recent movie … I laughed out loud multiple times, something I didn’t end up doing as much with the first three.

5. Kirby
    June 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm — Reply

@George McBain:

You see I had a different perspective, I felt they were trying to go too epic. The first half with the Mars Vegas I found hysterical, but halfway through things like the Don Bot’s wife just fell off the pier. Penn Jillette was hysterical (maybe because I’m a huge P&T fan.) IT STILL COUNTS!

6. George McBain
    June 10, 2009 at 1:55 pm — Reply

@Kirby: Oh no, I have the same perspective as you, I just meant the humor and lines in general were funnier to me than the previous movies.

7. JMF (Brown Noser Lad)
    June 10, 2009 at 5:31 pm — Reply

Having only seen Benders big score and Beast with a billion backs and id like to see it back in 22 minute form