_45840965_who_bbc226b.jpg

With all the hoopla surrounding the young Matt Smith as the new Doctor in the next season of Doctor Who, the BBC finally unveiled who his assistant will be – and she’s even younger than he is.  Karen Gillian, a 21-year-old actress, will tag along with the Doctor on his next round of adventures that will air next year on the BBC.

Writer and executive producer Steven Moffat said they saw some “amazing actresses” but Gillan “walked through the door the game was up”.

He described her as “funny, and clever, and gorgeous, and sexy. Or Scottish, which is the quick way of saying it”.

“A generation of little girls will want to be her. And a generation of little boys will want them to be her too,” he added.

Even though she has appeared in a few shows, this is her first high profile project.

via BBC News

Boom! Studios Sneak Peek of the Week

Doctor Who fan comic completed

1. Kirby
    June 1, 2009 at 9:11 am — Reply

To my blooming interest in Doctor Who, thanks MS, there have been younger actors like what’s his name? Adric.

2. hermit
    June 1, 2009 at 9:57 am — Reply

new companion or love interest. they’re both young and at their sexual peak.

i don’t like where this is going.

3. Izaak
    June 1, 2009 at 10:13 am — Reply

Wow. She’s hot.

4. June 1, 2009 at 2:18 pm — Reply

they’re not both young, the doctor will still be very very old.

As for sexual peak, who is to say?

5. Night Marshal
    June 1, 2009 at 4:20 pm — Reply

She’s all kinds of cute. she’s even been in doctor who before. As for young see looks older than billie piper

6. Slappy
    June 1, 2009 at 6:12 pm — Reply

At least she’s not Jailbait.

7. DrNerdo
    June 2, 2009 at 1:50 am — Reply

She’s HOT! But let us hope Matt’s Doctor won’t be kissing nearly as much as Tennant’s Doctor did, preferably not at all. Mid you, I love the 10th Doctor but he will be known as the kissing Doctor.

8. Salieri
    June 2, 2009 at 2:56 am — Reply

Moffat & co. seem to be going with this agreeable idea of hunting down little-known actors who have good talent, rather than the opposite. I can’t make any judgements about this assistant until I see her onscreen, but I at least know that she isn’t Rose. Quite frankly, I don’t think I’d like to see something like Rose ever come into the Doctor’s life ever again.

9. Rob
    June 4, 2009 at 2:43 pm — Reply

I thought Billie had the right about the love interest for the show, I am thinking they will try and push the love thing more now and ruin the show. If it turns into a dam Si-Fi drama I will quit watching. I am hopeful they will not go down this path but like the rest of us i will wait and see what they do.

10. Damascus
    February 18, 2010 at 12:24 am — Reply

I’m not sure why Salieri is complaining about Rose, if you have reasons why you didn’t like her performances I’d like to hear them. I loved what Billie Piper brought to the show. I don’t want the show to be overrun with love subplots but if they were using Rose as the only assistant that he was to ever love or have that kind of a connection, then that’s fine with me and it would make sense to have her still show up in the show every so often. But I do agree with others about not wanting to see Doctor Who turn into Doctor Who, 90210.