Marvel Sneak Peek: Planet Skaar Prologue

Because Bea Arthur Died This Weekend, and We Haven't Done a Star Wars Bit in a While

1. albert
    April 27, 2009 at 12:54 pm — Reply

wow. socialism at its finest.

2. Dork
    April 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm — Reply

Fake. Probably.

That’s not fair wah wah wah Hugh Jackman is making more money than me. Gimme gimme me me me me me that’s not fair that’s not fair

Poozer.

3. downbylaw
    April 27, 2009 at 1:56 pm — Reply

you know with his mannerisms and his voice one could easily pick him out.
    but nonetheless!
    he stuck it to the man…i was hoping he was going to say he did it because the movie is crappy…which i believe.
    the wolverine origins movie is a step above fantastic snore.

4. Izaak
    April 27, 2009 at 2:59 pm — Reply

Another youtube celebrity rises upon the acts of others.
    I agree.
    Poozer.

5. Ringo
    April 28, 2009 at 2:05 am — Reply

I smell hoax.

But if it’s real, i have a few points:
    1. It’s not like they were fooled to believe that they were going to get a share of the profits then sudden told otherwise. You knew the stipulations when you took the job. You knew that no matter how much work you did on a film’s effects, you were going to get paid your normal pay rate regardless.

2. If the CG effects industry is really this pissed that they aren’t getting a slice of the profit pie, or they are being unfairly treated, you could always organize into a union and strike. I for one would love to see it. Because then filmmakers would have 2 options: A) give into the demands and give the effects companies a percentage of the profits of the film because, let’s face it, the majority of the blockbuster movies from the last 15 years have relied heavily on CG to get the job done. Or there’s option B) Filmmakers and production companies actually make an effort to make engrossing cinema without relying on CG to accomplish what they can’t/don’t have the energy to figure out how to do practically.

Option A would give the CG companies what they believe is their fair share of the profit of a successful movie (or the reprocussions of a flop), while option B would result in a return to relying on well-written scripts, talented acting and visionary direction that was needed for a hugely successful flick way back when before the advent of CG effects.

6. Propane
    April 29, 2009 at 4:03 am — Reply

I can understand where he’s coming from, but it seems to me that post-production wizards would command a much higher salary than the low figures he mentioned. $35-40k a year seems very low for their expertise.

If this is legit at all, I’ll be surprised.

• April 29, 2009 at 8:09 am — Reply

for the average sfx people 35k-40k per year is about average.