“I hear DC has Gotham City Sirens coming out in June…”

“Oh yeah?”

“I bet we can top ’em with Marvel Divas…”

I’m not sure that’s exactly how the conversation went down at Marvel went when this series was dreamed up, but the duo of Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning hype it up on this week’s My Cup of Joe.

This also seems like the perfect time to announce our Marvel Divas limited series, beginning in July, from Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Tonci Zonjic, featuring some of the Marvel Universe’s greatest female heroes in a way you haven’t seem them before.
I’ll let Roberto explain:

“The idea behind the series was to have some sudsy fun and lift the curtain a bit and take a peep at some of our most fabulous super heroines. In the series, they’re an unlikely foursome of friends–Black Cat, Hell Cat, Firestar, and Photon–with TWO things in common: They’re all leading double-lives and they’re all having romantic trouble. The pitch started as “Sex and the City” in the Marvel Universe, and there’s definitely that “naughty” element to it, but I also think the series is doing to a deeper place, asking question about what it means…truly means…to be a woman in an industry dominated by testosterone and guns. (And I mean both the super hero industry and the comic book industry.) But mostly it’s just a lot of hot fun.

Anytime I see similar titles like this released, all I can think of is that song from Annie Get Your Gun.

via Marvel’s My Cup o’Joe

Mattel Delays Alex Luthor/Ultraman Two-Pack

Captain America Cufflinks Keep You Classy

1. ykw
    April 10, 2009 at 12:01 pm — Reply

I take it this is the pitch replacing the aborted, lamented MODELS, INC. book?

Not that I mind; I’ll buy a Patsy Walker book, regardless.

2. April 10, 2009 at 12:23 pm — Reply

3. Mr.EZ
    April 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm — Reply

So Marvel’s taking their 4 blandest heroines with the blandest costumes and teaming them up?

Good to see the money I spend on Marvel comics is going… somewhere?

4. April 10, 2009 at 12:32 pm — Reply

Marvel’s been trying to get a “Sex and the City” type book off the ground since the MAX line debuted.

5. Salieri
    April 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm — Reply

So, Monica Rambeau. Her C.V.

* Inheritor of the Captain Marvel title
    * Leader of the Avengers
    * Leader of NEXTwave
    * Participated in Secret Avengers during Civil War
    * …Became afraid of own powers, briefly became Black Panther’s sidekick #17
    * Present: Teamed up with three other women nobody knew what to do with, posing generically while missing the team she used to lead…

6. Modok
    April 10, 2009 at 1:39 pm — Reply

A typical Campbell, meow

7. RussHagan
    April 10, 2009 at 2:03 pm — Reply

Is it possible just to copy and paste the comments from the Star Sapphire costume debate to here??

8. ~wyntermute~
    April 10, 2009 at 2:19 pm — Reply

I feel sorry for poor Monica… NObody takes her seriously, not even the writers it seems….

9. April 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm — Reply

Yeah, I wonder if this becomes a thing on MS. “Sexist Friday.”

10. Arsnof
    April 10, 2009 at 3:14 pm — Reply

Wow… are my eyes deceiving me, or are there actually four individually sized, individually shaped pairs of breasts in that picture?

Comics have come a long way.

11. April 10, 2009 at 4:06 pm — Reply

Issue 1 Jean Grey shows up, does nothing, then dies.

Come on, we got to see her dead in the X Men Noir run, it’s about time they start bringing her back and killing her again.

and again…

and again….
    /stupid idea

12. MaximusRift
    April 10, 2009 at 4:21 pm — Reply

This is probably not going to be cannon, but that’s probably in the books favor.

Also, can we finnaly confirm that Marvel has no idea about what it does anymore?

13. Ricco
    April 10, 2009 at 6:14 pm — Reply

Unlike the Star Sapphire thing this doesn’t seem offensive to me.

One: they are fully clothed, granted they might as well be naked and have their costumed painted on but that’s the norm for female and male heroes.

Two: if it’s a parody of “Sex and the City” it’s normal that it’s sexy and risque.

And three: I liked the recent “Patsy Walker – Hell Cat”, I have wondered what has happened to Firestar since she retired and showed up in “Nova” and felt bad for Black Cat when her latest love interest (Paladin) kicked her in the face at the of Heroes for Hire during WWH. The Last girl, Photon, I’ve never heard off before and don’t really care about (all I know off her is from Salieri’s “CV”)

14. Izaak
    April 10, 2009 at 8:23 pm — Reply

* S I G H *
    Sex sells I guess. If nothing else maybe it’ll stimulate the economy.
    …or it could just be a deep hole into which Marvel can throw large amounts of money that should go instead to things I actually want to read!
    At least there aren’t skrulls in it right?

15. eric
    April 10, 2009 at 9:23 pm — Reply

Where is Tigra? So these are the only female heros in the Marvel Universe? I dont collect Marvel titles except Capatain America in TPB, but Marvel could do better than this. I would be even inclined to get something from Marvel if it was an all female team up like Birds of Prey.

16. April 10, 2009 at 10:42 pm — Reply

Scott Campbell draws the same characters over and over. I’m interested in this mix of characters, even if Black Cat is overexposed and undercharacterized.

As for Models, Inc., when did it get aborted? I musta missed that discussion.

17. Rodrigo
    April 10, 2009 at 11:29 pm — Reply

@ Eric: where’s Tigra?

I’m guessing they didn’t want to have 3 cat-themed heroes in a team of four. Then again they have two cats and two electro-magnetic heroes. I would have rather seen Dagger in this than in the All New All Scowling X-Men

18. downbylaw
    April 11, 2009 at 1:18 am — Reply

CATWOMAN! yeah!

19. DMC
    April 11, 2009 at 11:51 am — Reply

You all know this is Marvel’s counter to DC’s Gotham City Sirens right? But at least GCS feels like a more serious book because 1) the cast (sorta) 2) the art.

Diva’s has a few things going for it. It’s good to see Black Cat and Firestar back and Marvel was smart in keeping Felicia away from the Spidey-U. She can come back later. And with Marvel going through “Dark” times right now, a lighter book is appreciated.

I’m also interested in how the book will address what it means to be a woman in the comic industry.

Other than that, I’ve got a baaad feeling about this one. JoeQ’s (early) discription of the title didn’t help and (IMO) the ‘cartooney” look of Campbell’s art does more harm than good. Even the title of the book bothers me (Diva?), but that’s nitpicking.

Oh well…..good luck………

20. The Dude
    April 11, 2009 at 7:33 pm — Reply

“The pitch started as “Sex and the City” in the Marvel Universe”.

I liked Sex and the City (yes, you can have my man card), so I might check this out, but only if it’s $2.99.

21. Puff Adder
    April 11, 2009 at 7:40 pm — Reply

I thought Monica was Pulsar now, and what happened to the George Perez Firestar costume? Oh, whatever…

22. fan
    June 29, 2009 at 11:04 pm — Reply

DC comics has an idea… Marvel rips it off