Hoping to cut costs and keep the company afloat, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. not only announced it may cut 800 jobs, it is also canceling orders for The Simpsons and The Martha Stewart Show.  Martha I can understand, as that seems to be more of a method of torture than entertainment, but to deny our America’s Hat brethren the antics of those silly yellow people, is simply no way to run a television network.

The pubcaster also said it will lower license fees and order fewer episodes of such popular Canadian TV series as “The Border,” “Being Erica,” and “Little Mosque on the Prairie” to deal with a growing advertising downturn.

via THR

Interview: Alex Tse on Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter

IDW Publishing and ComicMix Team for Graphic Novel Release

1. Phil
    March 27, 2009 at 12:06 pm — Reply

Just to let you know Canwest Global(Global TV) has the Simulcast rights to The Simpsons. So we still do get the show, CBC just plays reruns.

2. ~wyntermute~
    March 27, 2009 at 1:42 pm — Reply

And God, they are reruns older than dirt in some cases…. Frankly, I’m glad my tax dollars (the CBC is partially funded by all canadian taxpayers, fyi) will not be spent on old-ass eps of the Simpsons I have already seen 26 times before. :)

3. Phil
    March 27, 2009 at 1:45 pm — Reply

I couldn’t agree more

4. Blaze
    March 27, 2009 at 3:34 pm — Reply

“Little Mosque, Being Erica, The Border… or The Simpsons… Which one do we scratch???”

No wonder they are losing business… Like anyone in Canada under 40 has ever seen even a single episode of the 1st 3 shows mentioned above… Better move may have been to dump the shyte television shows no one will ever watch, and get more updated Simpsons episodes… Canadian TV sucks anyways! Thundercats re-runs would probably get more viewers than half of their garbage on CBC… Other than Hockey Night in Canada, CBC sucks too!!!

5. Vedesten
    March 27, 2009 at 10:57 pm — Reply

Let’s not forget that the CBC also lost Hockey Night in Canada AND rights to cover the Olympics! There is absolutely no reason for me to watch the CBC anymore.

6. ykw
    March 30, 2009 at 12:26 am — Reply

Little Mosque getting trimmed back is a huge concession to begin with, as it’s the (undeserved) darling of the Canuckistan press corps. I’m amazed the Ceeb didn’t zero out its entire budget for foreign-made programming (hey, it’d be a whole lot easier to make CanCon quotas that way!) before touching one dollar slated for LMotP.

7. Alex
    March 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm — Reply

*cue “Christmas Time is Here”*

Well I don’t mind some of the reruns, I still enjoy them very much. But it is a shame that CBC’s lost so much.

8. :( ??
    August 3, 2009 at 9:43 am — Reply

WOW CBC! how could they take off the simpsons? eveyday I come home from school, i watch the simpsons. now ghost wisperer is on? LAmE. I want comedy! And now we are having the news on for 90 mintues! what r they gonna talk about? the horrible crimes in winnipeg – hmm that will last about a half an hour. what is the point of even watching cbc anymore?

9. Nelly
    August 25, 2009 at 7:35 pm — Reply

The simpsons has been in that 5pm timeslot since 1994. I was 10 years old at the time so I pretty much grew up with the simpsons. It’s the only reason I even tune to the CBC. Even if it’s a rerun it beats a lot of what the other channels are showing. Truly a great lost for the channel but what do you expect, the morons in Toronto don’t know how to run a tv channel. After they cancelled ‘intelligence’, they have been filling this station with shite shows.