What happens when you take Eric Powell’s popular The Goon and turn it into a CGI feature?  Ain’t It Cool News has the first look, and I like what I’m seeing.  If you are going to translate an artist’s style into 3D, it’s always best to follow it as closely as possible.  Click the link to access the super hi-res versions of the image.

via Ain’t It Cool News

SDCC'09: Four Day Passes Gone

Archie Comics for June 2009

1. March 16, 2009 at 10:56 am — Reply

Well, that screen cap definitely looks a lot like Powell’s visual style. My main concern is how it’ll look when it’s actually animated. I hope they don’t cut corners.

2. Jerard
    March 16, 2009 at 10:59 am — Reply

Never picked up The Goon but this looks pretty cool is this 3D or stop animation?

3. hermit
    March 16, 2009 at 11:07 am — Reply

it’s cgi, so 3D.

now they need a good script.

4. Jerard
    March 16, 2009 at 2:41 pm — Reply

Oh never knew that as dumb as it sounds. Why don’t comic company’s make more of their movies in 3D it would be nice to see Pixar/DreamWorks Animation try and do Shazam or Power Pack.

5. Jerard
    March 16, 2009 at 2:43 pm — Reply

And it looks a lot like stop animation in this picture.

6. March 16, 2009 at 6:00 pm — Reply

I love the Goon. I hope Powell is involved in the planning process somehow.

Somehow I feel that the Goon is more at home in CGI than he would be in a live action movie…

In fact why don’t we have that many CGI movies for comics? There’s no reason not to have a number of the Dark Horse or Image books in the animation form. It may be more difficult with Marvel and DC, but I still would be interested in what they could do.

7. gaumer
    March 16, 2009 at 8:51 pm — Reply

I heard about this at the Goon/Powell party on Friday here in Nashville.

I heard it secondhand tho as I had to work :(

Damn you real life. Always getting in the way