We’ve discussed the relative ages of superheroes a couple of times on the Major Spoilers Podcast, and while we’d all like to think truly evolved heroes are in their mid 30’s, it turns out Thor is still twenty-something.  Or at least that is the age range Marvel is looking for in the upcoming Thor movie as revealed in this casting call notice.

Physically powerful, very handsome, occasionally egotistical, petulant, and wild. A natural warrior with a quick charming wit who must be genuinely and severely humbled before becoming the compassionate, mature hero of our film.

Man, I’m old.  I figured Thor to be at least 43.  Guess Brad Pitt and Matt Damon are out as possible hammer wielding heroes.

Coming Attractions via

Thinking About Digital Comics

Batman: The Brave and the Bold Deep Cover Sneak Peak

1. February 20, 2009 at 1:29 pm — Reply

Was anyone really clamoring for Matt Damon to play Thor, anyway?

The 20-something age for Thor doesn’t bother me. I mean, the 616/Marvel Universe Thor is closer to 40, in my mind, but I don’t think the idea of a younger Thor for the movies is inherently bad. They could use that to their advantage if they’re looking to play up the young punk attitude that Thor had before Odin humbled him. And judging from the description in that casting call, it looks like that’s exactly what they’re aiming for.

The only downside to a young Thor is that having John Malkovich play Loki (my dream pick) would be sort of odd, as they’re usually portrayed as being around the same age.

2. February 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm — Reply

Discussing super hero’s ages is an interesting concept. Since they are these archetypal characters whoever is discussing them probably thinks that they are closer to their age range. I’ve always imagined most were in their early thirties.

Christopher Reeve playing Superman was 26. Brandon Routh 27. Michael Keaton playing Batman was 38. Christian Bale was 34. That being said I think Thor is kind of Marvel’s version of Superman and should probably be in that age range. In my perfect movie he’d have a beard and be fighting demons in Hel.

But in “reality” Thor is immortal DUH.

3. Brother129
    February 20, 2009 at 1:56 pm — Reply

I thought the point of being a god was your youthful, handsome looks. I don’t have a problem with it. The key of course would be in who they cast. The guy they have playing Gambit could even make a convincing Thor. (Please watch Friday Night Lights if you don’t believe me:)

4. February 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm — Reply

Some time ago, I was watching LOST with my girlfriend, and somehow the topic of Thor came up, and she goes, “Why don’t they just cast Sawyer as Thor?” My reaction was basically, “Well, because…um…actually, he wouldn’t be that bad…”

Granted, that would pretty much go against the 20-something aspect that they’re gunning for, but I wouldn’t mind Josh Holloway playing the God of Thunder. He’s certainly got that mean glare down pat. All he’d need is a good dialect coach to shake that southern drawl. :)

5. Izaak
    February 20, 2009 at 4:51 pm — Reply

Say what you will, I for one, am sad Danial Craig is no longer an option. I mean he’s a good actor and besides he looks half viking anyways.

6. February 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm — Reply

I’m a personal fan of the guy from Journey Man

7. February 21, 2009 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Kevin McKidd who played Lucius in Rome?
    If that’s who you mean I 110% agree!