Wow.  Never thought I’d see the day where I’d be writing that headline, but it appears to be true as Variety is reporting Brett Ratner and Reliance big Entertainment joining to turn Rob Liefeld’s Youngblood series into a motion picture.

Most of the great graphic novels are gone, and ‘Youngblood’ is one of the few comicbooks left with tentpole potential,” Ratner told Daily Variety. “It was a real personal passion project for me, and a lot of people wanted (‘Youngblood’), but the amazing thing about the guys at Reliance is the speed with which they’re able to move.”

Really?  The great graphic novels are gone, and Youngblood is the only thing left?  Wow.  H’Wood must have really pillaged the comic industry over the last year.  I really need to get my Zombie/Kung-Fu/Western out the door so I can make a billion bucks.

via Variety

NYCC'09: DC Comics Sunday Edition

Review: Greatest Hits #5 (of 6)

1. The Dude
    February 8, 2009 at 9:51 pm — Reply

It’s bad enough that it’s Youngblood, but they attach Brett Ratner to this project. Are they purposefully trying to keep me from seeing it?

2. Dork
    February 8, 2009 at 9:52 pm — Reply

Where are they going to find actors with such terrible anatomy?

3. Al kelly
    February 8, 2009 at 11:23 pm — Reply

oh my god. this is too perfect. crap book + crap director. thank god he is staying away from Harbinger, that has so much potential. I hope it gets a good director now…alfonso curon maybe?

4. Dork
    February 8, 2009 at 11:40 pm — Reply

This is a great opportunity for actors without feet.

5. February 8, 2009 at 11:58 pm — Reply

Remind me how many times the talentless hack was supposed to have a film coming out based on one of his properties……….5?………10?…….17?

6. Slappy
    February 9, 2009 at 5:31 am — Reply

Are there enough roids in Hollywood to properly prepare thecast to look the part?

7. Lifeisaglitch
    February 9, 2009 at 5:46 am — Reply

This might be good in the “not a lot of emotional attatchment, so even if it sucks who really cares” kinda way…I just want them to cast roid-wrecked wrestlers….

But back to the real discussion…Cuaron making a Magneto movie!!! Or why arent they re-booting the FF!!!

8. February 9, 2009 at 7:25 am — Reply

Would have thought wildc.a.t.s. a more viable “tentpole” than youngblood.
    I think some people in hollywood need to look at having their tentpole removed.

9. February 9, 2009 at 9:00 am — Reply

Who exactly was asking for any Youngblood project?

Youngblood was right in the middle of the 90’s comic bust. Let’s hope this doesn’t signal the decline in comic adapted films.

10. February 9, 2009 at 9:03 am — Reply

“Waredrobe!!! We need more pouches on these costumes, stat!”

11. OS Perry
    February 9, 2009 at 1:41 pm — Reply

Ugh!!! Cruel joke of the April Fools variety, but too early I’m afraid, so it must be true.

There are many more titles that would work to take from Comic page to motion picture…

Youngblood is not or would never have made my wish list.

“Waredrobe!!! We need more pouches on these costumes, stat!” Now that’s funny.

12. hermit
    February 9, 2009 at 2:49 pm — Reply

i’m eith you The Dude, they’re making everything in their power to NOT get my money.

13. Roy
    February 9, 2009 at 3:47 pm — Reply

I have to make a confession…I think I used to own Youngblood #1. Wasn’t it a double-sided issue?

Man, I wish my forearms could be that big. Seriously.

14. February 9, 2009 at 4:47 pm — Reply

Why can’t you all get off your “I’m such a cool fanboy h8r” high horses and acknowledge what a great achievement this is for Rob Liefeld? Rob has sold millions more comics than many other creators, he created and launched lasting and successful properties at Marvel including X-Force, Cable and Deadpool. Without Rob Liefeld there would be no Image Comics. Maybe you should congratulate a creator for getting his work picked up in Hollywood?

• February 9, 2009 at 4:53 pm — Reply

JasonBL: Why aren’t you praising Brett Ratner for making this happen?

15. Ok
    February 9, 2009 at 5:11 pm — Reply

Is it hard to type with Liefield’s d+ck in your mouth?

16. mugsgame
    February 9, 2009 at 5:28 pm — Reply

They could shoot this entire movie in front of a green screen and never have to change it for final production.

I think this movie could be good. Negative * Negative=positive.

I will say congrats to Rob Liefield and I admit to being a fan in the New Mutant days. I will also say that I’m pretty much retarded.

17. mugsgame
    February 9, 2009 at 5:31 pm — Reply

I wonder if we’ll get to see Youngbloods feet in the movie. That would really piss off the Youngblood loyalists. I hope that they can find an actor that can mime pulling back a bow string.

18. anonymous
    February 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm — Reply

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but enough with the superhero movies *wimpers*

19. The Dude
    February 10, 2009 at 2:13 pm — Reply

JasonBL: I read Youngblood when I was a young lad, so I would totally go see a Youngblood movie out of sheer nostalgia, but I have a strict no Brett Ratner directed films stance. So my comment was more of a dig against Ratner than Liefeld.