ateam.jpg

H’wood is once again throwing originality out the window and diving into your childhood to bring the A-Team television show to the big screen.  Ridley Scott, Jules Daly, and Stephen J. Cannell are all on board to produce the film with Joe Carnahan set to direct.

Carnahan and the Scott brothers say they will use the original premise of the series as the template for an action film. In the original, four Vietnam vets convicted of armed robbery escape from military prison and became do-gooder mercenaries.

The Middle East will replace Vietnam as the place the four did their tour of duty, but Carnahan said the origin story is the jumping-off point.

“This was a coveted property, and reimagining a show that I remembered as a kid was tough to turn down,” Carnahan said. “Fox hired me to make it as emotional, real and accessible as possible without cheesing it up.”

How ’bout this smarty pants – if it was a beloved childhood television show, why not turn on TVLand and watch it there instead of raping our memories?  As B.A. Baracus would say, “I pitty the fool that can’t be original”.

via Variety

Anthony Daniels Saves the Day in Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Lara Croft Back to the Silver Screen

1. crood
    January 28, 2009 at 9:25 am — Reply

OK, clearly they don’t get it. The A-Team was 100% Grade-A Cheese.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with remakes. After all, why is OK to use novels and comic books as source material and not TV Shows? Why was it OK to restart the Batman film franchise with Batman Begins?

However, when they don’t get the original, that’s where I have a problem. Look at the remakes of Rollerball and Death Race 2000. They entirely missed the social commentary of the originals. In this case, the idea of a “cheeseless” A-Team is a case of missing the point. Part of the fun of the show is all the bullets flying and cars blowing up with no one getting hurt.

2. Ricco
    January 28, 2009 at 10:19 am — Reply

Either be original or be true to the orginal material darn it! This is why I fear the upcomming Robotech movie…

3. Mr.EZ
    January 28, 2009 at 10:19 am — Reply

Just use the same cast as Three Kings (Clooney, Ice Cube, Wahlberg and Spike Jones) and it would be pretty ok.

4. MaximusRift
    January 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm — Reply

If this isn’t an action/comedy, it will suck. MY guess is that it will stay pre-production hell

5. Gaumer
    January 28, 2009 at 6:54 pm — Reply

This blows

I hate it when a plan comes together

6. Frankie
    January 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm — Reply

How about not making the movie all together? Fox makes some pretty terrible movies especially comic book movies.

Thank God Fox is re-shooting the Wolverine movie (hopefully to add more deadpool) to make it better…I think? I dont know.

7. questworld
    January 30, 2009 at 2:04 am — Reply

I do look forward to such remakes. Granted you either end up with something like the first Charlie’s Angels, the new Battlestar Galactica, etc. or you end up with the new Knight Rider. And yes, if they turn A-team into another “realisitc” piece, I think they’ll miss some of the elements that made the series great. And I’m not sure how they can replace Mr. T as “Bad Attitude.” An action comedy is the way to go for sure. And lots of gunfire and explosion but no deaths would be a nice throwback. I don’t think I’d want to see the characters blowing bad guys’ heads, unless of course we aren’t using the same characters.

8. January 31, 2009 at 5:11 pm — Reply

George Peppard, and Mr. T portraying Hannibal and BA are going to be impossible to replicate or even live up to, really. Although I do wonder what actress they’ll get to play Face?