0_21_Montalban_Ricardo.jpg

Man when it rains it pours.  First it was the news of Patrick McGoohan’s passing, then Steve Jobs stepping down from Apple because of his medical condition, and now Fox News is reporting on the death of Ricardo Montalban.  Many of us know him from Fantasy Island, but a many more pop culture fans know of him in his series to movie spanning role as Kahn, probably one of Kirk’s most formidable foes.

Montalban’s death was announced at a meeting of the city council by president Eric Garcetti, who represents the district where the actor lived. Garcetti did not give a cause of death.

Buuuuuummmmmmmmeeeeeeeerrr!

via Fox News

NYCCC'09 Commercials Debut

TED Talk with Scott McCloud

1. Gaumer
    January 14, 2009 at 7:07 pm — Reply

That sucks

He was old school, like Jack Palance. Wont be no more like those guys

2. shamon
    January 14, 2009 at 7:46 pm — Reply

wow sad news on another note

Additional comments removed by moderator

SHAMON: No Thread Jacking – your comments are best served elsewhere, like the forums.

3. shamon
    January 14, 2009 at 7:48 pm — Reply

rip Ricardo Montalban

OTHER COMMENTS REMOVED BY MODERATOR
    Shamon – no thread jacking… Your comments are best served elsewhere, like the forums.

4. Kirby
    January 14, 2009 at 9:09 pm — Reply

And in a flash a part of my childhood passed away [/Wonder Years-espue voice over]

But seriously when I was a baby my mother put on Star Trek II: THe Wrath of Khan on the VHS where she worked because it was the only film to shut me up. It is still one of my favorite films of all time. I have a tear in my eye.

5. BlueNight
    January 15, 2009 at 12:18 am — Reply

Though Khan was for me his most memorable role, I will never be able to hear that voice without thinking of Armando Gutierrez. “Laugh with me, Jocko!” “Eeeeehhhhh…”

6. Peruchito
    January 15, 2009 at 7:40 am — Reply

another icon gone. one of the few latino actors in mainstream media in those days. a role-model and proof that we can ‘make it’ despite our skin colour and background. RIP Ricardo Montaner.

7. Peruchito
    January 15, 2009 at 7:42 am — Reply

crap i spelled his name wrong…

8. January 15, 2009 at 9:14 am — Reply

Threadjackers be damned. Have some respect for Khan Noonien-Singh.

God he was awesome.

• January 15, 2009 at 11:39 am — Reply

Jon, I know you are really broken up over the news. If you need someone to watch over your Jack Burton action figure while you morn, I will help you out.

9. January 18, 2009 at 8:47 am — Reply

@Stephen,

I am in deep despair, but I think Jack will be safe with me for the time being.