When pressed if he’s been involved with in any discussions with Warner Bros., Singer rather cryptically answered, “I am not officially involved in the talk, no. I have relationships with Warner Bros. and with the character and, and, and it’s just the way things work out.”

– Bryan Singer on his involvement with a new Superman movie.

So what are your thoughts?  Are you happy or upset that Singer may not be involved in the next Superman movie?

via MTV Splash

Bring On (even more) Bad Guys!

Review: Batman #682

1. December 5, 2008 at 3:56 pm — Reply

I’m indifferent. Warner Bros/DC seems to overanalyze their film properties to a paralyzing degree. I’ve given up on them.

*Aside from Nolan’s Batman franchise, that is.

2. itzajpthing
    December 5, 2008 at 4:01 pm — Reply

After the horrible bargain bin movie that was/is Superman Returns, I would be excited to NOT have Singer involved. How he goofed it up so bad after doing so well on X-Men is amazing.

3. December 5, 2008 at 4:21 pm — Reply

ALL* of the Superman movies have sucked, so Superman Returns — being built on the foundation of the previous Superman movies, rather than on the foundation of the Superman comics — doesn’t particularly bother me.

Continuing to make movies that suck, when you have opportunities to re-reboot the franchise and tell a decent story (perhaps even one where Superman, you know, actually fights something) just to keep a certain director involved is inexcusable.

If he was going to continue pushing for the Superkid storyline and continue to press Brandon Routh into playing Christopher Reeve playing Superman, rather than just portraying Superman / Clark, then I’m fine with him being out. If he was willing to re-envision things along the lines of what Nolan has done with Batman, keep him.

It’s as simple as that.

* – With the possible exception of Superman II, but I’m not even fully convinced of that.

4. Adam
    December 5, 2008 at 4:44 pm — Reply

Thank the gods of Krypton that he’s out of the picture. Just get a good director on it, for the love of all that is holy.

5. December 5, 2008 at 5:47 pm — Reply

Singer is a good director so the problem isn’t that simple. You have to catch lightning in the bottle and not even the makers of Batman and Iron Man can tell you how to do that…

6. Cory
    December 5, 2008 at 8:26 pm — Reply

I think Warner’s should give someone else a shot at rebooting Superman. One thing is ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THOUGH: GRANT MORRISON MUST WRITE IT! All Star Superman have been the BEST Superman stories in ages! If they must have Mark Millar then he should be co-writer with Grant Morrison because their last collaboration “The Authority” Issues 13 – 28 (minus some during a hiatus) were pretty good.

As to the director, MAYBE Robert Rodriguez, Alfonso Cuaron, (James Cameron WOULD NEVER DO IT – he thinks it’s beneath him), Brad Bird?(of The Incredibles fame), Danny Boyle, and Darren Aronofsky.

7. hermit
    December 5, 2008 at 9:02 pm — Reply

couldn’t care less, singer screwed superman return (but i loved x-men 1&2). i think they should let it be or give it to somebody who know what he’s doing and let him do what he wants.

8. December 5, 2008 at 10:19 pm — Reply

Although Superman Returns super-blew most of the time, I thought Brandon Routh was a good Superman, just as Kevin Spacey made a great Lex Luthor. I don’t think the director or the people in charge of casting screwed up, I just think it was a shitty script in the first place.

They shouldn’t be worried about finding a new director, they should be looking for different scriptwriters!!

9. December 6, 2008 at 9:03 am — Reply

I don’t understand why Singer has received so much praise for his X-Men movies. When I look back… the first one was kinda lame, and the second one was an improvement of the first, but it still lacked that X-Men feel for me. I think it was those super-stiff suits they were always wearing… they could hardly move. That, and Halley Berry as Storm was horrible.

Basically, anything he accomplished in The Usual Suspects and the X-Men movies was completely incinerated with the bastardization that was Superman Returns. He basically took a giant dump all over that thing.

December 6, 2008 at 4:19 pm — Reply

Make Superman movie like Iron Man: Use only 20 per cent of the movie to settle the origin of the character and thd rest with a plot and fights, I am pissed of watching Supes doing some Boy Scout acts, I wanna see how Bizarro, Parasite, Metallo, Lex Luthor on his battle suit, Scorch, Livewire, Toyman android, Mongul and Kalibak kick Supes’ ass until he gets really angry and lick them all in an epic battle.

11. December 6, 2008 at 6:17 pm — Reply

@Jacin B.

You sir are correct in your assertion of suckage. Has anyone in the last 15 years sat back and said, “hrmmm you know, the Quest for Peace was a solid flick”. It was an absolute shit fest!

I loved Routh as Supes and Spacey as Luthor, inspired casting deterred by shitty scriptwritting? Super-spawn? Are you kidding?

I often defend Superman Returns, I found it to be a decent movie with some top notch visuals. I still think that the airplane rescue was awesome on the big screen. I think was WB has to stop doing is revering the original Superman movies, just because the guy who played him at the time died. Let it be known folks, Christopher Reeves was no Bogart. His IMDB really isn’t all that impressive, but I understand why folks hold him in such high regard … he WAS Superman. And in the 1970s, to see a legitmate superhero on the screen had to be an impressive sight. I understand why there is a certain romance with the franchise, but seriously …. get over it.

We don’t need another spin on the origins, I’m pretty sure 8 out of 10 people on the street could at least tell you something about him. Give me an invulnerable near immortal superhero banging heads with the likes of Metallo, Parasite, shit even Crazy Armored Lex Luthor. He can’t just be fighting islands made of crystal and kryptonite … lame.

Anyway, I’m done now.