As I’ve been preaching for the last several months, Blue Beetle has walked the line to cancellation, and now it’s confirmed in an interview with Dan DiDio.

One of the books that I’m most disappointed about in that regard is a book like Blue Beetle, which we are cancelling. That’s a book that we started with very high expectations, but it lost its audience along the way. Recently, we felt that it was standing on firmer ground, and was getting a more positive response. The problem is that the firmer ground and positive response is not enough to keep the book afloat. So unfortunately, we had to cancel that series.

Bummer.  I really like this series for a number of reasons.  It’s a positive character for minorities, it has a great Buffy-centric vibe to it, and Matthew Sturges was just starting to make his current run pop with the introduction of the new Doctor Polaris.

This is a fantastic book, but as DiDio said, postivie response alone is not going to save the many titles DC is canning.  You could try a letter writing campaign, ala Manhunter, but at this point, I think everyone’s minds are made up.  One good piece of news is the character is not being killed, so we will probably see him appear in other titles, or anthology series.

Well DC, that’s six titles down (Nightwing, Robin, Birds of Prey, Manhunter, Legion of Super-Heroes, and Blue Beetle), who’s next?  Jonah Hex, Booster Gold, and Black Canary/Green Arrow, I’m looking your way…

via Newsarma

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Sneak Peek: Duel of the Droids

Review: Cthulhu Tales #8

1. November 12, 2008 at 5:00 pm — Reply

Allow me to be the first to say nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…I just got around to reading the third trade and LOVED it, it’s been one of my favourite series by DC in what’s been a very sketchy year for even their top series’ in my opinion. I’m still sore at being so badly burnt by Countdown.

2. DrStrangeCubicle
    November 12, 2008 at 5:00 pm — Reply

Booster Gold’s still over 30,000 copies sold, more than twice BB’s, so it’s fine for now (although I’m not sure it’ll survive under Jurgens).

I’m bummed about the cancellation, but this one’s on the sales, clearly. Other than momentary blips for crossovers (Teen Titans, Sinestro Corps Wars in particular), it just doesn’t sell at all.

3. November 12, 2008 at 5:29 pm — Reply

Other than Batman and Detective Comics, Blue Beetle is the only DC proper book that I read. I’m sad to see it go. :(

4. Martin
    November 12, 2008 at 5:45 pm — Reply

Well, there goes the one book I could recommend without reservation to new or younger readers. At least I’ll always have the trades. Rogers hasn’t posted anything about this yet, has he?

5. Rowan
    November 12, 2008 at 6:04 pm — Reply

Dont cancel my Hex !!!!! NOOOOO !

6. Nico
    November 12, 2008 at 6:11 pm — Reply

Even though I don’t care for Winick, I don’t want to see GA/BC go away anytime soon. I need my curmudgeonly archer.

7. Dr. Pants
    November 12, 2008 at 7:09 pm — Reply

DC is clearly trying to get me out of their hair. I read Blue Beetle, Manhunter, BoP and LoS, plus I’m getting Hex and Booster Gold. I don’t think I’m coming back after the umpteenth JLA reboot and, unless JSA turns around soon, I’m probably dropping it as well.

I was going to say, “Make Mine Marvel,” but maybe this (and the impending dollar price hike) is just a sign that I need to get out now and grow up or something.

Stupid growing up…

8. Dr. Bolty
    November 12, 2008 at 7:56 pm — Reply

Lovely, another title knocked off my small list of comics.

9. Cory
    November 12, 2008 at 8:27 pm — Reply

I really don’t like Matthew Sturges’ writing. I find House of Mystery, Jack of Fables, Blue Beetle and Shadowpact completely unreadable. He should be writing sitcoms for FOX – it’s that bad.

As to the comment that this was a good character representing minorities i.e. latino/hispanic. It most certainly is NOT. Promoting illegal immigration is bad for everyone involved. Illegal immigrants sap local resources by not paying taxes and the illegal aliens are taken advantage of by criminal corporations who use them as slaves. The net-effect being the driving down of wages for all kinds of work.

I guess this shouldn’t surprise me; didn’t Matt Sturges used to be a priest – what with the Catholic Church supporting illegal immigration and all.

10. nu
    November 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm — Reply

dont forget catwoman, shadowpact, and checkmate. im sure there is more

11. November 12, 2008 at 9:49 pm — Reply

Cory doesn’t like something… why am I not surprised?

12. David
    November 12, 2008 at 11:36 pm — Reply

What a rough year…or two…or, sheez, maybe more to be a fan of DC Comics. I am very concerned about the state of our dying little medium. I am not a Dido fan, but I gotta say I really REALLY wouldn’t want his job right now.

13. November 13, 2008 at 12:18 am — Reply

Agreed, on all counts.

DC is in one of their collapsing phases, with a lot of the titles that launched out of Final Crisis a couple of years ago meeting their maker…

And there’s a difference between showing a character viewpoint and promoting anything… There are characters on both sides of the debate in Blue Beetle, after all, and the issue is presented in a relatively balanced way.

14. November 13, 2008 at 8:08 am — Reply

Careful, Stephen – Cory has a potty mouth, and he’s not afraid to use it! :p

15. ~wyntermute~
    November 14, 2008 at 12:01 am — Reply

Is Cory about to be co-opted into the MajorSpoilerstionary? q.v. “Randall….”

The point about trimming down the Infinite Crisis titles is a pretty good one… I’m just glad that Jamie has the Titans to hang around with. Waaaiiiitasec. If “Robin” is getting cancelled, what does that mean for the leader of the Teen T’s? Man, I hate this “let’s hide our upcoming changes so nobody can guess the outcome of R.I.P. and Crisis” stuff.