BOOM!  I love this image.  It’s a perfect combination of dramatic pose, lighting, and the suspense of wanting to know what this promo is all about.  My guess it has something to do with some of that art we saw a year or so ago featuring Iron Man in a Captain America inspired suit.

We’ll find out when Marvel sends more info, but until then, enjoy the image directly from the Mike Deodato, Jr.

X-Infernus Draws Near, Gets J. Scott Campbell Variant

Secret Invasion #8 Gets Two Week Delay

1. October 28, 2008 at 9:06 am — Reply

$5 says its Steve Rogers.

2. October 28, 2008 at 9:14 am — Reply

$5 says this is the What If? title announced a while ago…;)

3. October 28, 2008 at 9:15 am — Reply

Good call. It must be a Tony Stark style “keep him alive” angle.

4. October 28, 2008 at 10:15 am — Reply

Yeah, Marvel’s got a habit of releasing these teaser images to get readers speculating about future 616 developments, when it’s really a ploy to frum up interest for their What If? tales. I don’t see a reason to suspect this is 616 related.

“Fool me once” and all that.

5. October 28, 2008 at 10:19 am — Reply

josh: Now you are thinking like a smart comic reader

6. preston
    October 28, 2008 at 12:16 pm — Reply

I guess no one follows interviews or whatnot as closely as I do, but the Iron Patriot mystery is something that Quesada and Bendis have both mentioned ties heavily into the upcoming Dark Avengers series. So I guess the Iron Patriot is a Dark Avenger.

7. October 28, 2008 at 3:26 pm — Reply

I stopped following Joey Q & Bendis’ interviews a while ago. I get to worked up when I start thinking about the ridiculous shifts to the “status quo” without ever having taken the time to explore what is actually going on with the main characters. Can anyone tell me if World War Hulk actually happened? Or is it one of those House of M type things?

8. Gaumer
    October 28, 2008 at 8:17 pm — Reply

marvel events are like my uncle at Thanksgiving

he screws everything up every year, but we keep inviting him back and pretend nothing has ever happened

as long as Marvel stays out of the bathroom with me like in 1994, we’ll be fine

9. Slappy
    October 29, 2008 at 4:29 pm — Reply

Everybody has it completely wrong and are soooooo offbase it isn’t even funny. As soon as we unmask him you will see that it is none other than Red Herring!!!!!!!!

He would have gotten away with it if it wasn’t for those kids and the funny lookin dog!

10. Gaumer
    October 29, 2008 at 5:05 pm — Reply

its prolly that time-traveling skrull Cap

11. Rube
    October 29, 2008 at 6:10 pm — Reply

Harry Osborne or Stark gone mad again.

12. Anonymous
    October 31, 2008 at 6:19 pm — Reply

God someone fire someone or hire someone to fire people, because marvel just doesn’t know what’s good or bad and keeps shoveling out whatever they can think of in the hopes people will give them money.

13. December 8, 2008 at 4:13 pm — Reply

It’s ol’ Gobby! Don’t let his new tricks fool you. The the heart of all mad men is an even greener crazy man!

14. Shim'tar
    January 1, 2009 at 6:43 pm — Reply

I say it’s the 1950’s “Dark” Captain America…the nut who’s know as “The Grand Director”…he recently showed up in the Captain America series as a tool of the Red Skull. He disappeared after the Red Skull storyline concluded after battling Bucky the New Cap.

15. bobo