WhoIsTheNewBlackPanther.jpg

Who’s under the mask?  There’s a new Black Panther in town, and she’s smokin’ hot.  In an interview with the Washington Post, both Joe Quesada and Reginal Hudlin were mum on the new player in T’Challa.

The news, of course, is sure to spark controversy among fans — not unlike when Captain America began packing heat this year. How will Hudlin react to that?

“Honestly, my entire run on the series has been controversial. Which is great,” he says. “All the writers I admire are hotly debated online, and I feel like I’m always in great company in that situation. But more importantly, it means that people care about the book.”

Anyone want to take bets on if it is the X-(wo)Man formerly known as Storm? We’ll find out when the issue arrives in an extra-sized volume in February 2009.

via Marvel

Marvel Sneak Peek: Ghost Rider #29

Marvel Announces Double-Sized Fantastic Four Cosmic Special

1. Creep
    October 21, 2008 at 4:24 pm — Reply

Oh yeah….at first we had Black Adam (the Namor in that one Comic) und now Batgirl…the men behind the pencils for Marvel should really try to finde new own ideas *rolleyes*

2. Cory
    October 21, 2008 at 5:21 pm — Reply

How terribly original. I am just so excited for this…

Marvel Comics really is in the toilet now, isn’t it?

3. steviecool
    October 21, 2008 at 5:37 pm — Reply

I think I read somewhere else that it’s a long lost sister, however true that may be.

4. Creep
    October 21, 2008 at 5:49 pm — Reply

Hm…with Daredevil (not the masterpiece I hoped for, but good), Captain america (the last 42 issues together are genius), the X-Men (I hope for some genius things in the next ten years) Marvel has a few title, who rescue it befor the flush

5. Maximus Rift
    October 22, 2008 at 8:50 am — Reply

Marvel: The House of (Stolen) Ideas ;p

6. Brent
    October 22, 2008 at 9:10 am — Reply

@ Creep: T’Challa’s sister is already established, so at least Marvel is constrained from going the “long lost sister” route. Check out the first few issues of Hudlin’s run when she was part of the Wonder Woman-ish competition for the mantle of Black Panther (which T’Challa won of course).

They also revisited his sister in a recent “alternate future” story wherein T’Challa has retired and his sister is the reigning Black Panther (ish # 25 I think).

As derivative as it all sounds, a female BP from a sexist Wakanda and living in the shadow of her father and brother gives the writers something to play with.

7. October 22, 2008 at 10:21 am — Reply

Anyone know who the artist behind that image is?

8. Brother129
    October 22, 2008 at 12:04 pm — Reply

Companies swipe concepts from each other all the time. Gender switching is nothing new…but Marvel doesn’t deserved to be criticized for it. Brent: Good call. I’m guessing she’s the sister.