Check out this weird casting news – apparently Terrence Howard has been given the axe for the Iron Man sequel, and is being replaced by Don Cheadle.

Marvel had no comment, but sources close to the deal said negotiations with Howard fell through over financial differences, among other reasons. Marvel, which had wanted to work with Cheadle, then decided to take the role in another direction and approached the actor, who is shooting Antoine Fuqua‘s “Brooklyn’s Finest” with Richard Gere and Ethan Hawke.

I really dig Don Cheadle, and can’t wait to see his Jim Rhodes character get a larger role in the sequel.

via Yahoo

Marvel Sneak Peek: Weapon X: First Class #1

Amazing Spider-Girl Canceled

1. Lifeisaglitch
    October 14, 2008 at 8:57 am — Reply

I like Cheadle but i just don’t feel him for the role. He just seems more like the dude they would cast if they went and did a black Ironman, they need a serious dude for the role, like they set it up.

…Bah I’m gonna survive hes a good actor.

2. October 14, 2008 at 9:55 am — Reply

Huh. That’s weird, considering for the past two years Howard was all about playing War Machine. Cheadle’s a better actor, though. I just hate it when characters get recasted. It screws up the continuity.

3. Rodrigo
    October 14, 2008 at 12:13 pm — Reply

it bugs me that they’re switching actors. It weakens both pictures.

4. October 14, 2008 at 2:01 pm — Reply

I would have liked for Howard to play Rhodey again, if only for consistency.

What I wonder though is that they axed him in favour of Cheadle and said it was because of money. Wouldn’t Cheadle be in a higher salary class than Howard?

5. October 14, 2008 at 4:53 pm — Reply

campaigner has a point there… One would think that Cheadle would cost more. Frankly, I don’t think that either actor gives me a Rhodey vibe, but Cheadle is a great actor, so I can’t complain.

6. October 14, 2008 at 5:37 pm — Reply

What is it with super hero movies and recasting? Oh well at least we’re trading up in terms of acting ability with these guys. Hopefully Cheadelle won’t dissapoint.

7. mosdef
    October 14, 2008 at 7:01 pm — Reply

I dont think Cheadle will dissapoint hes a great actor, in my opinion hes alot better than Howard. Its a little annoying that it messes with continuity though, but hes gonna nail this part

8. Randallw
    October 14, 2008 at 8:05 pm — Reply

I smell executive meddling.

Executive: yes, yes I know Iron Man was a hit, I’m just saying if Rhodey is going to play a bigger part we might want to go with a bigger name this time. What other big, military looking, african americans are there?
    Executive 2: How about Don Cheadle? he played that hotel owner in that Rwanda film.
    E: great idea.
    E2: He was also a jewel thief in those Ocean films.
    E: perfect.

9. October 14, 2008 at 11:38 pm — Reply

I’d rather see Cheadle as the Falcon or even the Black Panther. To be honest, I could care less if I see Rhodey jump into the Mach 2. War machine is all sorts of ho-hum for me, so if I’m tossing Cheadle into tights/armor, I’d rather it be a film he leads.

10. Propane
    October 14, 2008 at 11:41 pm — Reply

Awww I feel really bad for the original, he seemed really pumped for the role. He was really good in the first, such a shame.