Can you believe Brendan Fraser could have been Superman, and that Lex Luthor might have been a Fox Mulder type character working for the CIA?  That’s how the story would have played out if J.J. Abrams had his way with Superman: Flyby that was in production from 2002 – 2004.

On Earth, Lex Luthor is a CIA Agent who specializes in X-Files-type cases, Clark meets Lois Lane before she’s a reporter, and the super suit is actually a living liquid contraption that sucks Clark Kent into it. Of course Kata-Zor finds Clark and sends his own son Ty-Zor to Earth to murder the son of his brother. In a surprising twist, Supes dies but his father (also dead) brings him back to life to defeat his cousin and his gang of Kryptonians. But wait, that’s not it — it turns out Lex Luthor is also a Kryptonian and now they have to fight, ending in a massive cliff hanger.

I find this stuff simply fascinating.  After the discussion we had on the last Major Spoilers Podcast (the Piccolo incident, I want to discover more and more of these strange and bizarre tales to share with my fellow Major Spoilerites.

Quote of the Week

Simpson's Intro in LEGO

1. Lifeisaglitch
    September 12, 2008 at 10:39 am — Reply

What?!?! No giant spiders?

2. September 12, 2008 at 10:57 am — Reply

I knew about (and read) Flyby’s story… but I didn’t know that they’d actually targetted Fraser. Honestly, he’s been my pick for YEARS. He’s got the height, the jaw, the voice, the whitebread Americana look, and he’s been ripped in prior movies (although George of the Jungle was years back). I STILL think he’d be awesome in the part.

3. Lifeisaglitch
    September 12, 2008 at 11:26 am — Reply

naw hes more of a Captain Marvel.

4. Allen Jones
    September 12, 2008 at 11:44 am — Reply

This is something I have a problem with. There’s a reason why these characters get picked up for movies. Why do they have to decide to change what made it work? Just terrible.

And I agree with lifeisaglitch, he’d be a perfect Captain Marvel. He played that type of guy before in that one movie he was in with Alicia Silverstone.

5. September 12, 2008 at 12:05 pm — Reply

Lifeisaglitch… you are SO right. Aw, man… Mummy Returns reunion? The Rock as Black Adam & Fraser as Marvel? That’d be sublime.

6. Lifeisaglitch
    September 12, 2008 at 1:08 pm — Reply

thank you, thank you…but who got my giant spider reference?

7. September 12, 2008 at 2:18 pm — Reply

I did

8. Bryan
    September 12, 2008 at 5:15 pm — Reply

I just watched the Kevin Smith piece. Now I get the spider reference. FUNNY STUFF.