Poll of the Week: Battle of the Seconds

Radical Publishing to Sponsor Heal the Bay Charity Event

1. Cory
    August 19, 2008 at 1:17 pm — Reply

I hear the Red Skull is also endorsing Obama. Make of that as you will.

Really, this is incredibly retarded. Comic Book Characters endorsing real world candidates is incredibly silly.

2. August 19, 2008 at 1:33 pm — Reply

At least it gives me a comic book related reason to vote for McCain…

3. August 19, 2008 at 1:41 pm — Reply

Ditto.

4. Brad Ball
    August 19, 2008 at 2:01 pm — Reply

rolf! and ditto

5. Ned Tugent
    August 19, 2008 at 2:16 pm — Reply

I hear Five Plane McCain wants to choose Dr. Doom for his VP, but he declined saying that he already holds that position under Chimpy Bush.

6. matt
    August 19, 2008 at 2:50 pm — Reply

if we have learned anything when comics get to political unless that is there goal it takes away from characters and more often then not creates bad stories Marvel Civil War comes to mind. That was going to have fair play for both sides but it didn’t because the writers own political feelings got in the way of the stories. Its human and I don’t think there is anything wrong with being political but not everything has to be Democrats good Republicans bad or vis versa. This kind of thing will keep going on but more often than not I see it as the writer putting himself and his own agenda ahead of the characters that they write for and that is rarely is the best interest of those characters.

7. August 19, 2008 at 3:34 pm — Reply

They’re still putting out Savage Dragon?

8. August 19, 2008 at 5:09 pm — Reply

If they are going to do this, they ought to also have a 1:5 cover supporting McCain. That way he’ll be able to say he supported the winner, no matter who wins.

I guess I’ve been reading Mad Magazine too long.

I think the only thing this will accomplish is for savage dragon to loose conservative readership.

9. August 19, 2008 at 5:21 pm — Reply

I think Larsen’s probably just one of those people that is so immersed in his own little world that he forgets that not everyone agrees with him or his political views … a trend which is disturbingly evident when you get too far out into either side’s ‘fringe,’ and is even more pronounced when dealing with folks who think themselves celebrities.

10. Joe
    August 19, 2008 at 10:40 pm — Reply

Or maybe he doesn’t care if anyone agrees with him and is still putting himself out on a limb because he wants to raise awareness for his views because it is important to him and he has this venue available to him.

11. August 19, 2008 at 10:54 pm — Reply

I guess I could see that option if a) he wasn’t a business owner and didn’t owe it to his co-owners and any stockholders involved to not potentially alienate 50% of their readers, and b) people weren’t already ‘aware’ that Barack Obama was running for President …

12. Mark I.
    August 20, 2008 at 2:21 pm — Reply

Actually, John McCain has been endorsed by both the Yellow Kid and Buster Brown. So he’s got that going for him, which is nice.

13. Brother129
    August 20, 2008 at 5:42 pm — Reply

Not to dis previous posters (but seriously Cory, your post is a tad offensive), but I think this site should be reserved to commenting on comics. Even if Larsen did it. It is right as a creator. But I don’t think its appropriate to get into the presidential debate in this forum. We argue enough about comics. Just my opinion…

14. August 20, 2008 at 7:36 pm — Reply

@ Brother: agreed.

GObama!

Starting now.
    ;p

15. August 21, 2008 at 7:50 am — Reply

Here’s my take on it all:

Larsen pretty much does whatever the hell Larsen wants. It’s kind of the point of Image, actually.

If anyone is swayed by what Erik Larsen says (or, perish forbid, what the Savage Drag-Queen has to say) then at least we have one more person involved in the political process.

Government “by the people, for the people, and of the people” must, by definition, include everyone, and as the late Mr. Carlin once opined, “Picture the stupidest #@&$er you know. Now, remember, half of the people in the world are stupider than that!”

16. August 21, 2008 at 8:37 am — Reply

The fact that Mr. Carlin was right makes me 1) glad that a large portion of the populace stays home on Election Day, and 2) think that some sort of basic ‘This is where this candidate stands on these issues’ test needs to be implemented so that the voters who do show up can demonstrate that they actually know who and what they’re voting for …

But, that’s probably just me.