If you are looking to expand your education, and want it to involve comics, there is probably a comic book class located near you.Â Matt Silady will be teaching a course at the California College of Arts and has posted his reading list for the semester.
- Reading Comics: How Graphic Novels Work and What They Mean by Douglas Wolk
- McSweeney’s Issue #13 Edited by Chris Ware
- Ode to Kirihito by Osamu Tesuka
- Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1 by Bryan Lee O’Malley
- All Star Superman, Volume 1 by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely
- Blankets by Craig Thompson
- American Elf: Volume 2 by James Kochalka
- The Fart Party by Julia Wertz
- The Girls from H.O.P.P.E.R.S. by Jamie Hernandez
- Jimmy Corrigan: The Greatest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware
Looks like an interesting class, and makes me wish I was teaching a comic related course… oh wait, I am…
IDS333C: Exploration/Humanities:Â Comics & Film
Through readings, in class examples, and in-depth discussions, students will learn how comics are composed, read and understood.Â Through intellectual understanding of this unique visual language, students will then explore the pitfalls of translating this specific form of art into the visual medium of film. Ideally, the student will gain a greater understanding of popular culture and use this knowledge to fully appreciate both art forms throughout his/her life.