This is probably the best news I’ve heard all day.Â At the Doc Savage panel, Michael Uslan, the fellow producing the Captain Marvel film, said there was a new Doc Savage film in the works.
Doc Savage is still one of my all time favorite pulp characters.Â Every time a new comic series was released, or I was able to find back issues of the 1960s reprints, I was plunking down my money.Â It’s too bad the first Doc Savage movie got the shaft and was reduced to a misserable failure (a story I should tell on a future Major Spoilers Podcast), as it could have been the Indiana Jones franchise.
- Finding the perfect Doc Savage – The more I begin to uncover the original pulp covers, I’m liking that interpretation over the James Bama art that hangs on my walls.
- The movie must include the “fabulous five”, even if their nicknames sound weird by today’s standards.
- Pat Savage? Not so much in the first movie, but if a female lead isn’t included, there could be trouble.Â Doc never really had any true romantic female leads like some other heroes, so finding the perfect actress is going to be critical.
- The first movie definitely needs to be The Man of Bronze and needs to be set during the 1930s – no updating for modern audiences.Â It didn’t work when DC tried it in the late 80s, it won’t work that way on film.
- I really believe the lobotomy portion of Doc’s work needs to be included.
- Gadgets, gadgets, and more period specific gadgets are a must.Â Doc Savage went on to inspire Batman for goodness sake, he better be equipped.
As you can tell, I’m a bit more excited over this news than any other. The Doc Savage film has been in the works for years, and with questions over rights, Arnold Schwarzenegger almost being cast for the lead, and many other fiascoes, have kept this classic character out of the theaters and forgotten by at least two generations.