joker.jpg

I think everyone saw this coming after the spectacular opening night the Dark Knight had in theaters.  It’s official now, The Dark Knight has officially pwned Spider-Man in the box office, taking in an estimated $155.3 million over the weekend.  Even at two hours and forty-one minutes, the Dark Knight was able to best the third installment of the wall crawler series by $4 million.

“This is a career-capper for anybody who works on a film like this in our business,” Warners distribution president Dan Fellman said. “It’s a great ride, and it’s just beginning, Most of the big summer films have already come out, so we have a great play time ahead of us.”

Is the Dark Knight perfect?  No, there are plenty of flaws that can be pointed out.  Is it fun and entertaining?  Oh yes.  If you haven’t given Warner Bros. your $10 yet, you really ought to catch this movie in the theater.  It is big, it is loud, and it is a thrill ride you won’t get sitting at home watching it on your 65-inch plasma.   As we have seen this summer, and in fact all year, movies tend to have a major drop off going into the second weekend.  I would be surprised if Dark Knight had and more than a 20% drop at the box office, and wouldn’t be surprised if the numbers rose a little bit given the numerous showings, fan hype, and the awesome performance by Heath Ledger.

via THR

Review: The Boys Twenty

Dustin Nguyen at it Again

1. Brother129
    July 21, 2008 at 8:28 am — Reply

I saw the movie on Friday and I still can’t stop thinking about how awesomely epic this film was. When you break out your yardsticks, I think the original Superman movie and the first Spider-Man have rightfully earned the top spot at the super hero movie heap….but this one is way up there too. Until now, I thought Spider-Man 2 was the best superhero sequel ever done….The Dark Knight blows that a way and I’m Spider-Man groupie through and through. I really believe among the many strengths of this movie, is the amazing ensemble cast who each bring something vital to this story. Even the supporting and minor characters work wonderfully. You mentioned there were some flaws; I’d love to hear what everyone thinks they are. The Two-Face thing seemed a bit forced in there, but even that worked for me ultimately. All in all, this blockbuster season will go down as one of the best for the comic fan. Four films (Iron Man, Hulk, Hancock, Dark Knight) that all brought something satisfying to the table with regard to great casts, strong acting, originality, and flat out action…

2. July 21, 2008 at 11:22 am — Reply

“You mentioned there were some flaws; I’d love to hear what everyone thinks they are.”

I’m curious what they would be, too.

I saw the Two-Face thing as having Joker ‘win’ in the end. As Batman told Harvey, he was the best of the three and Joker managed to break him. The only part of the Two-Face story that I didn’t get was whether or not he really died at the end, or if they merely put ‘Two-Face’ in Arkham and held a funeral for Harvey to let the public think he’d died a hero …

But, again, I didn’t see any flaws in the movie. I’m curious what others might’ve thought they were.

3. July 21, 2008 at 12:24 pm — Reply

I highly advise seeing it at an IMAX. Awesome.

4. Cory
    July 21, 2008 at 12:48 pm — Reply

Yes, Best Comic Book Film so far. Superior to Iron Man. Grant Morrison had an orgasim over it.

What I want to talk about is the CATASTROPHIC DROP of Hellboy 2: The Golden Army. 71% DOWN! Well, I guess this means that Mike Mignola will have plenty of time to draw the Hellboy Comic Book Miniseries series from now on since it doesn’t look like they’ll greenlight #3.

Oh, yeah, diddo on watch “The Dark Knight” on IMAX. The Best Experience for this movie.

IMAGINE “WATCHMEN” on IMAX. I just had a religious experience.

5. Cory
    July 21, 2008 at 12:52 pm — Reply

Yeah, Snyder’s still a dick. However, so were a lot other successful Directors.

Grant Morrison has a point, the transcendental visual splendor of Watchmen the movie out-weighs the reservations I have with Snyder’s previous work.

6. Mark I.
    July 21, 2008 at 2:16 pm — Reply

“It is big, it is loud, and it is a thrill ride you won’t get sitting at home watching it on your 65-inch plasma.”

Maybe not, but the Blu-Ray will get a fair shot on my 100-inch projector screen and I’m pretty sure it’ll come close…especially considering there won’t be any idiot parents bringing their babbling 3-year-olds along for some nice lasting trauma. Did they think Adam West and Cesar Romero were going to Bat-tusi across the screen?

Hellboy 2 never had a chance, whether it was good or bad. This weekend, they all bowed down to the Bat and the Clown.

Finally, I dug the Watchmen trailer too, but I’ll reserve judgment until I see the whole thing. People foamed at the mouth in anticipation of Episode 1 watching wild new aliens, Darth Maul and Obi-Wan going at it and spooky Gungans coming out of the marsh. And after everyone saw it, the whining complaints STILL haven’t stopped.

7. Cory
    July 21, 2008 at 3:30 pm — Reply

“There were a lot of “wow” moments in the Watchmen trailer, a lot of action-y money shots. Compare that to how much action there actually was in the book…not much, really. If Snyder makes a rich visual experience (which seems to be money in the bank) and craps out on the actual meat and potatoes of the drama, then you have an empty confection–but then, that’s all the Sin City movie really was and everyone seemed to like that.” – Mark I.

Agreed. Still I like the idea of a well done “Watchmen” movie. I’ve been disappointed many times in the past. Maybe this time it will be different. It doesn’t really seem likely that he’ll capture the real powerful moments from the original graphic novel. Certainly, so far, Snyder has not demonstrated to anyone’s satisfaction that he’s capable of doing this. My reaction was purely to the visual spectacle of the trailer.

8. Cory
    July 21, 2008 at 8:05 pm — Reply

Oh. My. God. Has anyone read the interview Zach Snyder did with Entertainment Weekly? They’ve added subplots having to do with alternative fuels. This movie is doomed. Zach Snyder isn’t smart enough to modify Alan Moore’s work.

I guess Grant Morrison really has been kissing Hollywood ass like crazy. Morrison is desperate to have his intellectual property developed no matter what.

9. Randallw
    July 21, 2008 at 8:41 pm — Reply

Watchmen already had a subplot, of sorts, about alternative fuel. The cars are electric, using lithium batteries Dr Manhattan makes.

10. July 22, 2008 at 8:44 am — Reply

… uh, just out of curiosity, why are we talking about the Watchmen movie (whether it will suck or not is irrelevant), Alan Moore, and Zach Snyder on a thread about the greatest comic book movie of all time?

11. Brother129