masonsupermanyell.jpg

Remember, the only comic deaths that are permanent are Bucky, Jason Todd, and Uncle Ben.

Yeah, about that…

The good news is after several months of no site, my wife finally asked, “When are you going to bring Major Spoilers back? I know you were happy doing it.” This got me working and talking and emailing people, companies, and entities from beyond about the site returning, and the response was a resounding “Do It!”

You see, I have a dream, a goal, a desire to bring you, dear reader, news, reviews, and of course spoilers about this pop culture phenomenon called comics (or graphic novels or floppies if you want to use the term). And over the last year and a half I developed Major Spoilers as an outlet for fun, creativity, and a place to share those things we all love.

When I shut down Major Spoilers at the end of October, I will admit I was crushed, it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. At that point my hopes and dreams of being a premiere source of information were dashed on the rocks. While my comic orders still arrived at the house, and public relations material still filtered through my e-mail, I didn’t read a single thing. I avoided Countdown (as apparently most of the rest of comic-dom has), stopped listening to comic related podcasts, avoiding the toy aisle at the department store, and generally withdrew from everything comic related. If there was ever a point where I was majorly depressed, this was the long dark tea time of the soul…

On the plus side, I got to spend a heck of a lot of time with my son, and after passing the six month mark, I know he is on his way to being a great kid, a terrific young adult, and will be a successful young man. But then I really began to think how I would explain the closing of the site to him. If I tell him he can grow up and do and become anything he wants to be, how seriously will he take it knowing I flushed my dream down the toilet – knowing I let down hundreds (if not thousands) of daily readers to the site, and let something great slip through my fingers?

My son is learning to crawl. At times it is the most humorous thing you have ever seen, and sometimes the most tragic thing you have ever seen as he struggles to grow. Life is a constant struggle, nothing is handed to us for free, and if I want Major Spoilers to succeed, there are going to be growing pains. I am going to make mistakes, I’m going to fall flat on my face, and you are going to be there for it – you are going to laugh, you are going to cry, and you are going to get angry at times – but that’s life; it’s all part of growing. Everything is a constant learning experience that only makes us better.

And Major Spoilers is going to grow, and I believe it can be great. The site may never be the 800 pound gorilla that is CBR, or the bull in the china shop that is Newsarama, but my dream is to make Major Spoilers the serious contender. It’s not going to happen today (although if it did, you’d see me drop a brick in my shorts), and it probably won’t happen next week, but my hope is you will join me on this journey and bring others along for the ride as the site continues on indefinitely.

I was serious about the moment my wife asked me if the site was going to return. In mid-December, while totally bored out of my skull, I picked up that growing stack of comics and began to read. And you know what? I found that love of comics again. I knew at that point Major Spoilers had to return, not just for me, not as a way of hopefully making my son proud because his dad isn’t a quitter, not because my friends were asking a lot of questions I just didn’t have answers for, but because I knew there were thousands of readers world wide who were going without their daily fix, who love comics as much as I do. So I’m not just bringing the site back for me own gratification, but I’m bringing it back for you.

But in order to bring the site back, I had to make some compromises:

• As part of the deal, Matthew and I both had to sell our soles* to Sonneillon (look it up) to bring the site back. The end result is we woke up this morning in our dorm room from 1995 with only a vague memory that we were married to wonderful women and had great children. On the plus side, I’m 50 pounds lighter, have 30% more hair and my organic web shooters are gone.
  • For the next couple of months there will actually be four separate sites that will be grouped under one heading called Reign of the Major Spoilers.
  • Following a lot of chaos and confusion, the four sites will be reduced to two, which shall go by the names Major Spoilers Red and Major Spoilers Blue (just in time for the election!).
  • Shortly after that it will be revealed Major Spoilers was never really dead to begin with, it had just spent months in Europe waiting for things to settle down.
  • At the two-year anniversary party it will be revealed that Matthew has been a Skrull all along.
  • A year from now, we will disavow Major Spoilers ever shut down, thus retconing the “terrible time” from all memory, even though those stories and articles can still be accessed via web cache sites.
  • When all is said and done, Steve Rogers will still be dead.

Besides those little compromises, Major Spoilers is back and over the next couple of weeks and months, you’ll see new features rolled out (or reintroduced), more great reviews, news, and of course spoilers. You will notice some changes (most notably in reviews) that we believe have settled any outstanding issues with the big two, but after reading the ton of email (all those electrons add up) from you, dear reader, supporting the changes and ideas, I’m hopeful Major Spoilers will return to its original status in no time, and surpass all the old records, sending the site to the stratosphere!

But I can’t do all the great things I want without your help. Please spread the word about the return of the site. Tell your local comic shop, print flyers about Major Spoilers and hang them everywhere (that groovy image below this post is formated for 8×10 paper – hint hint), visit the site daily, and most importantly, have as much fun reading the site as I have creating it.

It’s good to be back!

*yes, soles – do you really think we want to send the message that doing a deal with the devil is a hip cool thing?

I bet you didn't SEE THIS coming.

1. February 14, 2008 at 12:15 pm — Reply

Welcome Back!

que: Parade

…runs around like Kermit the Frog…: YYYAAAAAAYYY!!!!

2. Sanlear
    February 14, 2008 at 12:17 pm — Reply

Whoo Hoo!! It’s great to have you guys back. You’ve been sorely missed. :)

3. February 14, 2008 at 12:33 pm — Reply

w00t! Welcome back officially! :)

4. February 14, 2008 at 12:42 pm — Reply

Welcome back, Major Spoilers! It’s been ever so lonely in without you.

5. Sanlear
    February 14, 2008 at 12:44 pm — Reply

I had to look up Sonneillon.

Sonneillon is the Demon of Hate, and he tempts men with hatred against their enemies. He is the fourth in the order of Thrones.

Sounds like Mephisto all right….or Joe Quesada. :)

6. February 14, 2008 at 12:46 pm — Reply

Words can’t begin to explain how much I missed you guys. My family’s sure to be happy that I won’t be in mourning any longer, too.

LONG LIVE MAJOR SPOILERS!

7. Mark I.
    February 14, 2008 at 12:48 pm — Reply

Outstanding.

Not much else I can add to that sentiment. Good to have you guys back where you belong.

8. February 14, 2008 at 12:54 pm — Reply

Indeed… I’m pleased as punch to be back, so much so that I apparently had to gather euphemisms from 1938. Well, youse mugs are da reason we’re back, see? And we’re gonna give yas what for, see? Myeah… Myeah…

Or something.

While we dust off the hidden Spoilercave under Stately Spoilers Manor (just like Alfred and Bruce Wayne had to do back in the 70’s) remember that one truth of comics: the only people who are REALLY dead and gone forever are Thomas and Martha Wayne.

9. February 14, 2008 at 12:58 pm — Reply

“As part of the deal, Matthew and I both had to sell our soles* to Sonneillon (look it up) to bring the site back. The end result is we woke up this morning in our dorm room from 1995 with only a vague memory that we were married to wonderful women and had great children. On the plus side, I’m 50 pounds lighter, have 30% more hair and my organic web shooters are gone.”

But, it was worth it to bring the awesome back… Wasn’t it?

*Dum dum daaaaah!!!*

10. LouMatt
    February 14, 2008 at 1:02 pm — Reply

After Major Spoilers shut down, I was never able to find another site I really liked & now I don’t have to. Thank you so much for coming back online. You guys were truly missed!!!

11. February 14, 2008 at 1:03 pm — Reply

Fantastic day. I’m glad I never deleted MS from my bookmarks.
    What you said about Newsrama and CBR? True on the size, zero on the interest. MS was before and is now again my FIRST stop for comic book news and reviews and that’s because of YOUR personal touch, something they cannot match ever.
    Thanks again for coming back.

12. Wrighty
    February 14, 2008 at 1:04 pm — Reply

welcome back. you were missed!!

13. Rodrigo
    February 14, 2008 at 1:07 pm — Reply

Shambambamina

14. LouMatt
    February 14, 2008 at 1:10 pm — Reply

Welcome back Major Spoilers!! The Internet was not the same without you. Glad to have you back.

15. Sanlear
    February 14, 2008 at 1:17 pm — Reply

“Sadly, I’m 50 pounds heavier, and look like a young Mick Foley without the sophistication.”

As long as you’re Catcus Jack and not Mankind, you’ll be fine, Matt. :)

16. Michael G
    February 14, 2008 at 1:28 pm — Reply

ah the dark days are over. The King is dead long live the King.

17. Everan
    February 14, 2008 at 1:31 pm — Reply

Fantastic! I waited for your return. Major Spoilers was on my bookmarks list for weeks after it went down… Now it’s time to read what you’ve prepared this time, I guess :) I found several other comic book pages during your absence, but MS will always be my first and favourite one.

It’s like coming back home ;)

18. Minsk
    February 14, 2008 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Hoorah! Good to have you back, gentlemen! You were the ones who seriously got me into comics, you deserve all praise coming your direction.

19. Josh
    February 14, 2008 at 1:59 pm — Reply

Welcome Back!

Yay!!!

See, Tom Welling Prime Punches can be a good thing…

20. February 14, 2008 at 2:00 pm — Reply

Glad to have you back!!

I applaud both your return and your reasons for leaving in the first place. We all must make decisions based upon what we think is best for our family. If this is what you need to be the best dad then congrats to you and the site.

21. kwaku
    February 14, 2008 at 2:02 pm — Reply

Holy Moly. I thought you were gone for good. Glad that’s not the case. Welcome Back.

22. Salieri
    February 14, 2008 at 2:11 pm — Reply

Ah, the triumphant return. A hearty congratulations to all, and let us have a celebratory spit at the names of Jeph Loeb & Greg Land. *Harrrk*…

23. Brent
    February 14, 2008 at 2:34 pm — Reply

Not only will I add my congratulations on you guys coming back, but I THANK YOU for the hilarious place holders/countdown pages.

24. CRAW
    February 14, 2008 at 2:45 pm — Reply

welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

25. Scott C.
    February 14, 2008 at 3:36 pm — Reply

When it was said that Major Spoilers was going away it was the first time in a long time that I was truly upset a site would no longer be availble. I thought “What will I do at work?” It was a sad day indeed. I kept the link on my favorites checking every so often to see if there was anything. Months went by I was about to give up hope when you guys gave a sign of hope! It is so great to have you guys back and I can’t wait for all the good stuff to come! Welcome Back! To the victor come the (Major) spoils!

26. Brother129
    February 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm — Reply

Awesome! Are there any wheatcakes left???

27. DrStrangeCubicle
    February 14, 2008 at 4:20 pm — Reply

My work day is now only 96% intolerable. Thanks! :D

28. Lee Nygma
    February 14, 2008 at 4:43 pm — Reply

Oh man it feels good to get my MS fix once again…

Hopefully the one site on the internet I actually check more than once a day will stop me from frittering my money away on useless comics and leaving me only with ze goooood stuff.

Welcome. Back.

…dear God don’t ever leave me again.

This is only the second comment I have left on ANY site in the last two years. The first comment was when you said good bye. Maybe I’ll start to post a bit more.

29. Kristian
    February 14, 2008 at 4:47 pm — Reply

Wooo!!!! Welcome back! Now I can crawl out of the hole that i have been living in since the site shut down. Life has meaning once more!

30. mosdef
    February 14, 2008 at 4:50 pm — Reply

HAHA!!! finally i for one stephen schleicher and matthew peterson will bravely stand up, put my fists on my hips, stare into the sun for as long as i can take it, and champion major spoilers till it is that bull in the china store or whatever metaphor i didnt understand that u used earlier. MAJORSPOILERS IS BACK……WITH A VENGEANCE!!!!

31. February 14, 2008 at 5:31 pm — Reply

Welcome Back,

I never took MS from my home page. Now I don’t need to.

I’ll pass the word that you’re back.

32. Katzedecimal
    February 14, 2008 at 6:00 pm — Reply

Can’t talk; happy-dancing.

33. February 14, 2008 at 6:04 pm — Reply

Glad to finally have you back!

34. February 14, 2008 at 6:32 pm — Reply

Stephen & Matt you glorious bastards. I missed your musk. I love you.

35. Leiro
    February 14, 2008 at 6:34 pm — Reply

It is wonderful to have you back !

Thanks !!

36. Ed Q
    February 14, 2008 at 6:51 pm — Reply

Thank god you’re back! Spread the word…

37. sps49
    February 14, 2008 at 9:20 pm — Reply

So what are all of the entries between October and now?

38. ~wyntermute~
    February 14, 2008 at 11:37 pm — Reply

thank the baby jesus. all those “other” sites (or at least the ones i found) were nigh-unnavigable. wow. i mighta just made up a new word. anyway, yay for tom welling prime punches and a bat-dickness level of 10! they have ushered in the new era of major spoilage! now if you could just tell us who the Legion REALLY has in those lightning rods??? (i’m not sure if that’s a serious question or not, and i’m asking it. yeesh.)

39. February 15, 2008 at 1:30 am — Reply

“So what are all of the entries between October and now?”

TOM WELLING PRIME PUNCH!!!!

“now if you could just tell us who the Legion REALLY has in those lightning rods???”

Woody Allen.

“As long as you’re Catcus Jack and not Mankind, you’ll be fine, Matt. :)”

Duuuude… LOOOOOOOVE! Awwwwwright!

40. Nagame
    February 15, 2008 at 6:49 am — Reply

Yaaaaaaaaay!!!! I missed you soooooooooooo much!

Welcome back!!!!! This is really great!

Thank you!!!

41. Dave (Matter-Eater Man....)
    February 15, 2008 at 8:12 am — Reply

A great big “ditto” to the many comments above. Welcome back, gents.

42. Julian
    February 15, 2008 at 9:19 am — Reply

YAY!!! Im so glad this site is back! Welcome back and DONT GO AWAY!!

43. Joe
    February 15, 2008 at 10:41 am — Reply

Ermmm… at the risk of sounding unoriginal:

Yaaaaay!!!! I’m so glad this site is back.

Thanks

44. Sven
    February 15, 2008 at 1:11 pm — Reply

You guys have no idea how happy you’ve made me. Your re-opening of Major Spoilers is higher on my list of “Sven’s happiest happy moments” than losing my virginity or seeing the birth of my firstborn.

45. Sven
    February 15, 2008 at 1:17 pm — Reply

You guys have no idea how happy you’ve made me. The re-opening of Majorspoilers is higher on my list of “Sven’s Happiest Happy Moments” than losing my virginity and the birth of my firstborn.

46. MaryCherry
    February 15, 2008 at 5:49 pm — Reply

Hey, hon, glad to see you back! You take care now and stay away from that fried chicken!

47. February 16, 2008 at 8:10 am — Reply

48. The Clever Guy
    February 16, 2008 at 11:50 am — Reply

“I have to say, the world feels a little warmer and friendlier now that Major Spoilers is back in it.”
    — Brad

I agree…

Are there new Hero Histories coming?

49. February 16, 2008 at 11:56 am — Reply

The Clever Guy:
    New Hero Histories are on the way!

50. The Clever Guy
    February 16, 2008 at 12:32 pm — Reply

Awesome!

51. Peter
    February 17, 2008 at 7:10 pm — Reply

Glad to have you back. I think we need a list of odds on who is actually in the lightning rods, like you had with the skrulls.

52. Michael
    February 20, 2008 at 2:29 pm — Reply

You’re back!!! Life is sooo good!

53. May 5, 2008 at 3:37 am — Reply

I just learned you guys are back, and I’m soooooooooooo glad!!!!