Rumors are flying fast and furious over the Justice League of America movie. We’ve had reports that the Big Seven would be featured in the film,but that was followed up a few days later with info that neither Brandon Routh nor Christian Bale would be involved in the project. So what gives?

IESB has been trying to put all the pieces together and has come up with a possible answer – The Justice League of America movie will be an all CGI affair.

This explains why Happy Feet director George Miller is set to direct the piece.

This would put our League of Superheroes in a world much like Paramount’s Beowulf or Cameron’s Avatar, where they could hire any actor they wanted and tweak and change them accordingly.

If this is indeed the case, then I’m all for it. I think you would be able to do so much more in a full CGI environment than you could using live actors. But instead of going the Polar Express route, I would hope the look of the film is closer to Final Fantasy – now that would rock.

The only issue I have with the rumor as it stands right now is the fact that the movie only seems to feature the main heroes. If it is CGI, I say make a full on all CGI Justice League Unlimited that is a direct follow up to the animated series. Not only would that rock balls it could even cause the DVD sales of the multi-season show to get a boost, and would allow everyone a chance to see their favorite superhero in action. It’s just too bad New Frontier is getting the direct to DVD treatment, as I’d pay movie theater prices to see that story all CGI and on the big screen.

Who’s with me? Do you want to see a stand alone JLA movie that is seperate from everything, or would you rather see JLU in CGI?

Thanks Bill for the tip!

And before you get all worked up, the image at the top is not tied to the movie, but rather something someone put together a few years ago.

via IESB

Captain Victory Returns

Top Cow Sneak Peek: Madame Mirage #2

1. Jim Perry
    August 23, 2007 at 10:07 am — Reply

If done CG it should look like the cutscenes from the game Marvel Ultimate Alliance, done by Blur Studios.

Phenomenal looking stuff they do.

Imagine this but the JLA.

2. just me
    August 23, 2007 at 10:23 am — Reply

yep, this is the way to go. a full live action jla flick is way to prone to the cheese factor of fantastic four – only worse. with a cgi flick you could make a cool “serious” comic book flick without having to be too serious (ya know?). JLU was a prime example of how well this can be done.. one can only hope.

3. Brad
    August 23, 2007 at 10:28 am — Reply

I would LOVE a JLU cgi film, but I don’t think there is any way we could get it.

Warner Bros, especially has been all about, we cannot have movie goers come in half way to a story expecting some kind of explanation.

Now we all know they COULD do it and make it work, but they wont. Hell if they wanted to they could release new episodes of JLU and we would watch and enjoy them, or they could release a JLU movie direct to dvd and we would buy it, but again they won’t.

I hate to say it, cause I still have a few of the JLU episodes saved on my DVR that I re watch occasionally from 2 years ago, but…

JLU is dead!

Long Live the JLU!

4. Julian
    August 23, 2007 at 11:06 am — Reply

I agree they should do a follow up on JLU. Theres so many questions left unanswered when the series got cancelled and it would be great to see all of our favorite heroes making a cameo appearence.

5. FlashPointe
    August 23, 2007 at 11:07 am — Reply

For realism I don’t think anything comes close to having live actors, but if the movie ends up being CGI I’ll accept it if (as you said) they go for a Final Fantasy style. I’ve seen a few clips of that movie and I was impressed by the realism.

I have to disagree on one point. I’d much rather see this movie focus on the “big guns” rather than be a huge ensemble movie. I want to see characterization and you wouldn’t get enough of that in a JLU movie. A good example of this problem would be the X-Men movie trilogy. Which each movie, more characters were added and less screen time was available for each main character (except Wolverine of course…which I wasn’t pleased with). My favorite X-Men character is Cyclops, and his portrayal had no depth. Heck, when they adapted the Phoenix saga for the last film, Scott Summers was killed off during the first act even though in the comics he was the second most important character to the story (behind Jean of course).

I’d be very happy if the JLA movie only included Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the Flash (my all-time favorite comic book character)…perhaps Martian Manhunter and Aquaman as well. I’m really looking forward to a Flash live action movie, but if JLA is to come first I’d like to see Wally or Barry get some decent screen time and characterization.

6. Roy
    August 23, 2007 at 11:41 am — Reply

Hmmmmm……I’m kind of torn. I was a big fan of JLU, but a standalone JLA movie would be pretty nice.

7. August 23, 2007 at 11:45 am — Reply

Which is exactly why I don’t think we’ll get it… Producers aren’t about making the fans happy, they’re about putting their own stamp on a project so that it stands out and puts the other guys out of business. Any JLA film will probably go way out of its way to eliminate ANY AND ALL similarities to the JLU series we know…

8. Swintronix
    August 23, 2007 at 12:31 pm — Reply

I will be so surprised if they actually make a big-7 movie. The big-7 have never been in any TV show without some tweaking. This is Warner Brothers. If the big-7 don’t test well, they will tweak the line-up. They’ll add another female, or a black hero, or at least have John Stewart and Hawkgirl. But that’s not the big-7, is it? 5 white guys, a white girl, and a Martian? Movies are simply not done that way. JLU? Sure, do whatever you want after you make a legitimate, actual JLA movie, and CGI is fine by me.

9. Roy
    August 23, 2007 at 1:32 pm — Reply

Maybe they’ll make the whole thing into ensemble comedy. The Farrelly Bros. will write the script. I can see it now……… Booster and Blue Beetle will be the focal points of the whole movie. It will be just like The Tick, but with a bigger budget.

10. Mark I.
    August 23, 2007 at 4:07 pm — Reply

Roy, I’d give your right leg (well, what do you expect, giving mine?) to see a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle movie.

I even have a vague plot mapped out in my head. Ben Stiller as Ted Kord, Owen Wilson as Booster Gold, Kelly Hu as Lady Shiva. Voice cameos by Routh and Bale.

I bet if they were Marvel characters, they’d already have a movie. True, it would likely suck, but it’d be out there…

11. Naldo
    August 23, 2007 at 6:03 pm — Reply

Nooo… I didnt want all CGI !! I wanted real people and the basic heroes not all the JLU ones..

12. questworld
    August 27, 2007 at 3:43 am — Reply

Well shoot, if they’re going to do it as a CGI, get Kevin Conroy to do Batman’s voice again, not necessarily asking for a 3D version of Justice League Unlimited mind though the CGI in Batman Rise of Sin Tsu was pretty good.