The Sci Fi Channel is going to allow the remaining episodes of Painkiller Jane to play out, but after that, the action series based on the comic book is getting the axe.

The cancellation of “Jane” comes on the heels of the strong Friday premiere of another Sci Fi series based on a comic strip, “Flash Gordon,” which scored the channel’s best series premiere numbers this year.

Well that’s odd considering I thought the Flash Gordon pilot was pretty weak, especially with that guy playing Ming.

The last episode of the show airs on September 21.

via Hollywood Reporter

Nova #5

Outsiders - 5 Of A Kind: Katana/Shazam

1. Brent F.
    August 15, 2007 at 2:27 pm — Reply

This is good news, Pain Killer Jane was awful.

2. Sanlear
    August 15, 2007 at 2:30 pm — Reply

After Sci-Fi cancelled The Dresden Files, I pretty much lost interest in the channel. I couldn’t even sit through one episode of Painkiller Jane when it first premiered, so I can’t fault them there though.

3. Adam
    August 15, 2007 at 5:49 pm — Reply

Sci-Fi is on the slow decent to crap town. I don’t know who’s in charge over there, but man they’re making a lot of bone headed decisions. First it’s the shows the greenlight, like Painkiller, and Flash Gordon, which suuuuucked. Then it’s the shows they cancel *cough* SG1 *cough*.

If Sci-Fi doesn’t pick up the NEW Stargate show next year, there is no hope for that network. I only watch it for Atlantis at this point anyway.

4. August 15, 2007 at 6:06 pm — Reply

For full disclosure purposes, I probably should mention that I do work for the Sci Fi Channel. Not that it changes my view of any of the shows, or how I report on it. :D

5. Mark I.
    August 15, 2007 at 6:23 pm — Reply

To review Sci-Fi’s newest show:

“bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum

*guitar part*

bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum bum”

And so on…

6. Matt
    August 15, 2007 at 7:12 pm — Reply

Are you responsible for all of those….’movies'(I’ve said worse about them) Sci-Fi makes on the shoe string budgets?

7. August 15, 2007 at 9:02 pm — Reply

Matt: not I, I write for the Sci-Fi tech blog, but it is still part of Sci Fi.

8. Baal
    August 15, 2007 at 10:27 pm — Reply

1) Try watching original programming on Here or Logo. You’ll never complain about SciFi’s output again.

2) Was the guy that played Ming on Queer As Folk? He seems familiar.

9. August 16, 2007 at 3:17 am — Reply

This is a shame; the show was beginning to grow on me. And Painkiller Jane has a cast of talented, good-looking actors vs. Flash Gordon’s cast of untalented, not-that-great-looking models.

FG is going to be canceled as well… and probably sooner than PJ.

Scifi should resurrect Odyssey 5, Firefly, Threshold, Invasion, and Jericho (yeah, Jericho is going to get the chop again). Those shows would thrive on the network; the audiences they had on their original channels might have been meager compared to the ratings of other shows on the same channels, but on the Scifi network those numbers would be pretty good.