The big announcement at the Boom! Studios panel last night was Mark Waid moving to the Editor-in-Chief position with the company (see below). Even with that big bombshell, there were plenty of other highlights from the panel as well.
- Boom! announced a new imprint called Zoom! aimed at children. The company will be working with Disney on the project.
- Adam Fortier said the comics would be full of good stories with good messages.
- Books will be 128 pages long, 6’x9′ and retail for $9.99.
- Boom! has acquired the Gears of War franchise. The zero issue will debut this fall, followed by a hardcover.
- Boom! has also acquire The Godfather, which will tell the early days of Don Corleone.
- The license also allows the company to use Marlon Brando’s likeness.
- New projects include
- Northwind written by David Digilio
- Vampires Anonymous written by Andrew Cosby. it is about a vampire support group – you know for people who are vampires and need help coping…
- Salem: Queen of Thorns written by Chris Morgan and Kevin Walsh tells tales of witches in America. It is set during colonial times.
- Potter’s Field by Mark Waid and Paul Azaceta.
Legendary comic writer Mark Waid teams up with the critically-acclaimed artist of BOOM!’s own hit, TALENT! Outside New York City is Potter’s Field, where the unnamed dead are buried. Now, a mysterious man has taken it upon himself to name the unnamed in this cemetery! Using a network of underground operatives who don’t know each other, he fights to save the unsaved and solve the mysteries of the unjustly slain!
Boom! Studios hasn’t been high on my radar, but after the announcements the company has made over the last week, I’m sure it is on everyone’s scopes now.