The Hollywood Reporter is confirming this morning that Liv Tyler will be playing the part of Betty Ross in the next Hulk movie from Marvel Studios. Tyler will star opposite Ed Norton who will be playing Bruce Banner.

Ross, a classic “Hulk” character from the comic book’s beginning in 1962, is Banner’s fellow scientist and an ally in his quest to rid him of his lurking monster deep inside. The movie will unfold with Ross estranged from Banner (Norton), but with the pursuit of the Hulk heating up and Banner on the run trying to cure his condition, Ross finds herself swept back into his life.

I don’t know if Marvel is totally disavowing everything from the previous Hulk movie, but I kind of dug Jennifer Connelly as Ross. Tyler will do a good job, I’m sure, but she just doesn’t do it for me like Connelly did.

Universal Pictures is distributing the film, that begins filming this summer in Canada.

via Hollywood Reporter

Dynamite Entertainment Sneak Peek: Free Comic Book Day Edition

America Jr. Lands Itzin for Intro

1. May 4, 2007 at 7:49 am — Reply

She’s no Jennifer Connelly, but really, nobody is. And remember, when it comes to Betty Ross, it COULD be worse…

2. May 4, 2007 at 8:39 am — Reply

I feel like one of the few who really liked the first Hulk movie. I thought the acting, directing, and character development were great. The actors were well cast, and yes…Liv Tyler is no Jennifer Connelly. Jennifer Connelly is beautiful, has earned an Oscar for her acting skills, and was in “The Rocketeer,” baby!

3. May 4, 2007 at 11:38 am — Reply

I feel like one of the few who really liked the first Hulk movie.

No, you’re not. The Hulk-bashing is an examply of the big “bandwagon things” that comics fans engage in. I thought it had some really good moments, but people are bothered by moments like Nick Nolte chewing scenery like Mrs. Garrett in the second season of “Facts of Life” and the hulk-dogs. The CGI Hulk was a pretty impressive piece of work, too, even if it did seem very satiny and out of place sometimes.

It’s not as bad as people make it out to be, but one of the consequences of living in the Age of Irony is that when something is widely considered to be bad, you have to bash it, too. You won’t be cool if you don’t do it. :) But then, I also liked Fantastic Four for what it was… Official Marvel Movie Product (TM & Copyright). They’re trying to build franchises, and The Hulk is considered a flop because it failed to do that. ‘Course, so did the Rocketeer, still one of the most consistent superhero movies out there.

Daredevil and Elektra still bit ass, though.

4. May 4, 2007 at 11:56 am — Reply

I liked everything about the first Hulk movie except the Nick Nolte stuff at the end, everything else seemed to be a direct lift from the Hulk cartoon from the mid 90s. The hulk CGI stuff was very cool and the hulk dogs were okay as far as being a logical fit to the story.

matt: you REALLY need to rent the director’s cut of Daredevil – totally different movie and one that actually makes me want to see another installment. Elektra… well… it still blows.

5. May 4, 2007 at 1:02 pm — Reply

I’ll have to look into that one, if only for completeness sake. I actually preferred the black costumed Rex Smith Daredevil from “Trial of The Incredible Hulk” to the Ben Affleck movie… :)

6. May 5, 2007 at 3:13 am — Reply

I’ll back Bryan up on this one too. I rather enjoyed the first Hulk movie. Although I, too, did not care for Nick Nolte’s role, I still consider this a movie worth owning.

7. Novan Leon
    May 7, 2007 at 9:21 am — Reply

Same here, I actually like the first Hulk movie and I think they should have concentrated on building a sequel with the same actors rather than start completely over.

I’m not a Liv Tyler fan, I just don’t think she can act. I thought Edward Norton was a strange pic for Banner but I had faith in Norton’s acting ability to pull it off; however, choosing Liv Tyler as Betty Ross simply won’t do.